Spare tire holder under rear

AlphaGeek

Hi Guys,

I just had a set of new General Grabber AT2's put on my '98 pathy and had the shop mount the best full-sized tire on the spare wheel... then they told me that the spare tire holder (under the back bumper) cannot accomodate the P265/70R15 110S Wrangler tire! Apparently the spare that was mounted under there was very worn and is a smaller size tire but on the same wheel size. Seems very odd to me that the tire holder would not accomodate the full-size tire. So... does anyone know if that's correct or if there's a way to do it?

It can fit a 31" just have to raise it slow and wiggle to get it to sit where you need it too. There are guide brackets to align it. May have to crawl under and help guide it.

Biggest thing is don't let it run the Panhard bar.

Sent from fat fingers on S6

Yeah, I have no problem putting a ~31" under mine. It just barely clears the back of my hitch.

My problem is that with my lift, the chain is too short and it makes it a little tough to remove the plate. Enter swing-away carrier mod...

Hi Guys,

I just had a set of new General Grabber AT2's put on my '98 pathy and had the shop mount the best full-sized tire on the spare wheel... then they told me that the spare tire holder (under the back bumper) cannot accomodate the P265/70R15 110S Wrangler tire! Apparently the spare that was mounted under there was very worn and is a smaller size tire but on the same wheel size. Seems very odd to me that the tire holder would not accomodate the full-size tire. So... does anyone know if that's correct or if there's a way to do it?

We have a 1999.0 with the stock 265/70/15 tires and a trailer hitch, and yes, they will fit underneath.

B

Thanks for all the input; you've confirmed what I thought and what the shop manual says. Man, you'd think a tire tech should have known that LOL. One other question though, Rebelord, what did you mean by "Biggest thing is don't let it run the Panhard bar." (pardon my ignorance - not sure what a panhard bar is...)