Perspective Owner Questions

Hello All!

I am Evan, and I am a perspective Pathfinder owner and would like some advice before I pull the trigger.
But first, some information would be wanted I am sure.

I traded my 2007 FJ Cruiser for a more fuel economical Volkswagen TDI, and my wife is none too keen on the idea of using her Jeep this upcoming duck/waterfowl season, its new and stills smells good…

My needs (more wants) for a new rig started as a toy and a tool for the upcoming season, I wasn’t too sure what I wanted to buy, something inexpensive, but reliable. Coincidently I have a friend that is moving to Alaska and is not taking his Pathfinder with him.

I very briefly asked him information about the truck, so I will give you what I know.

1995 SE

6 cyl, 5sp Manual

~160,000 miles

He wants $1500 for it

I know NOTHING about pathfinders, but by the looks of it, it seems to be in fairly good shape. He states that the clutch is strong, and is mechanically sound. There are some issues, the air struts on the hatch need replaced, no plastic housing/trim on the steering column, the tach doesn’t work along with the reverse lights (related?)

My plans, potentially, would be a mild lift, for bigger tires. A SAS swap would be killer, but that would defeat the idea of a cheap, reliable rig, for now. I wouldn’t mind taking it around a few of the ORV parks around here someday.

I have yet to drive it, just cruising the forums and reading reviews on the internet, I know rust is a big problem with these. But is there anything else I should look at before I buy? All I could find on the powertrain is that they are bullet proof, but anything red flags?

Thanks a lot guys!

-Evan

First of all, welcome to the site! You find pretty much everything you need here to keep a Pathfinder alive for a very long time.

Second, the Pathfinder your interested in is seems pretty good at that price. Rust is a issue, but not so much here in the Pacific Northwest, unless you are out on the coast. You can check the common rust areas on the frame in the rear, on the body and frame under the rear seats and the floorboard under the drivers seat. My 95 is pushing 245,000 and going strong with nearly no rust at all(a few rock chips and scrapes from wheeling).

You would want to make sure the timing belt has been changed(due every 100k miles) and check the steering components for excessive play. The centerlink is a big issue if you plan to wheel it even moderately.

The manual transmission has been know to fail to due incorrect fluid put in and the wrong level achieved. If he has records of any service done, that would be awesome. Nissan had a rebuild kit for it including a new case and bearings, but not everyone got it done under warranty and it gets rather spendy. You can change the fluid and "overfill" it by adding it through the transmission shifter plate. You want to use a GL-4 lubricant so it wont eat the gears and bearings.

Everything else is pretty normal. Check plugs, wires, belts, hoses, ect for wear. If you want to check out a rig personally, there are lot of members here in the PNW that probably would meet up and let you check their rig out as a comparison(including myself). If you have more specific questions, please ask away.

Oh, feel free to post some pics for us!

Edited by 5523Pathfinder
  • Like 1

:welcome:

It's amazing how tough these little trucks are, but you're right - there are some things to look for.

In addition to the stuff 5523 mentioned, pinned on the New People Start Here! forum is a Pathfinder Common Issues/Fixes thread. That should get you up to speed pretty quickly.

Other notables are the Exhaust Manifold Studs breaking, causing some leaking and a ticking noise. Since it's a manual, you don't need to worry about the tranny overheating issue.

For the tach, it may be related the voltage regulator. :shrug:

For the hatch and glass struts in the back, I recommend Mr. Strongarm replacements. You can find them on Amazon and they work great.

I was just about to post that thread! You beat me to it!

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/19042-pathfinder-common-problemsfixes-read-this-first/

That thread is kinda old, but still useful. I'm thinking you are just losing the tach, the regulator was for the older square dash gauges.

You would want to make sure the timing belt has been changed(due every 100k miles) and check the steering components for excessive play. The centerlink is a big issue if you plan to wheel it even moderately.

The manual transmission has been know to fail to due incorrect fluid put in and the wrong level achieved. If he has records of any service done, that would be awesome. Nissan had a rebuild kit for it including a new case and bearings, but not everyone got it done under warranty and it gets rather spendy. You can change the fluid and "overfill" it by adding it through the transmission shifter plate. You want to use a GL-4 lubricant so it wont eat the gears and bearings.

Is there a way to check, other than visual and maintenance records for the timing belt?

as well as for the tranny rebuild kit? is there a visual part number that is relativly easy to see? He is not the first owner, and I am sure that he has no clue on whether or not any work has been done prior to his ownership.

Look for a sticker indicating a belt change. Other than that, no. You could remove the upper timing belt cover and inspect the belt itself, but if you are mechanically inclinded at all, just change it.

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/12828-how-to-change-your-timing-belt/

As for the transmission, if there was a sticker(and I dont remember them having one) it would probably be long gone. LIsten for noise in 4th gear or if it has issues shifting

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/2621-manual-transmission-tsb/

Edited by 5523Pathfinder

Your pretty well covered already besides I would like to add, don't be so quick to jump on the 'need lift and all kinds of stuff' wagon. If you pull the trigger, try it out a little as it sits... You may be quite suprised how these brave little toaster shaped trucks do in stock form with some grip and common sense when behind the wheel. Many a stock wd21 on 31"s have been proven around here to hang with big boys that have big bucks dropped into them. :aok:

• Like 1

for sure, it would be down the road, plus I think my wife would kill me if I started pouring money into it righ toff the bat...i.e. my FJ cruiser, that I traded in shortly after I was 'happy' with it.

I think they look great, I found an article that spoke of the 95 pathfinder to be the last ture SUV

http://gearheads.org/the-1995-nissan-pathfinder-the-last-real-suv/