My new 2001 LE 4x4

• 2 months later...

California to Washington-ROUND 2

I said it before and Ill say it again. These airlift bags are awesome. After 4500 miles the OME springs have settled and need the air lifts but this is the heaviest load yet. By my estimates I am right at the limit of the truck ( roughly 5000lbs ) and with the bags inflated to 30 psi it handles like it wasnt even pulling the trailer. Very solid but not bouncing at all. Almost a better ride quality with the trailer loaded like this and the bags inflated.

This is the second to last trip to WA and all of my girls stuff/house stuff is going up ahead and ill stay here in CA until I land work. So the next trip will be the last. This trip will be about 1600 miles with no excursions to the Olympic Peninsula. There and back. Feel like a big rig driver.

This is with the trailer loaded and the bags inflated. She barely flinches.

Love this truck

20151030_183719_zps7gn5bojv.jpg

• Like 2

Trip went well. Developed a few issues. Nothing too major. It rained on the way up ( yay for drought riddled California ) but no snow on the roads, just the mountains, which is great.

Ive started to stockpile a bunch of parts again. Time is so scarce these days. I just need time to with my truck to get it all sorted out. I now have the stuff i wanted for the foreseeable future. Winch and winch bumper, LED light bar, front OME HD springs, KYB front struts, new OEM strut bearings, SFD, K&N intake, 33" MT's on 16" alloys and a few other odds n ends. Gotta add a tune up and exhaust to that list. Possibly sliders. If only i had 2 of me. I need a clone.

20151103_065753_zps8z09c6ln.jpg

1st issue- Threw a P0171 code at me (running lean on bank 1) Im going to assume its an 02 sensor but its due for a full tune up so i'll start with that.

20151107_120947_zpsozdsupch.jpg

2nd issue- Developed the infamous coolant leak at the back of the motor. I'll deal with that during the tune up.

20151029_195237_zpshwbftvok.jpg

3rd issue- Exhaust started rattling a little bit. Heat shielding is falling to pieces. Time for a cat back system i guess.

20151029_195625_zps4lzsy8rk.jpg

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

After a littel over 1 year with this truck a lot has changed. Have a bunch of road trips under the belt and some good wheeling. Finally whittling down the parts pile that Ive amassed, getting the truck closer to my ideal setup. Had to have most of it done at a shop sadly, no space or time these days.

This comparison is from the first 4x4 trip out with it after purchase and 1 year later at the same spot.

Downievill%20net%20shot_zpsvbeuyzrj.jpg

This is how the truck sits now. 4" SFD, OME springs w 2" spacers on 33x12.5 tires

Adventures%20in%20Photoshop%20minature%2

Pathfinder%20commerical%20shot_zpskipu4d

20160416_130112_zpsuvla2ln7.jpg

20160416_125729_zps0ahy03bw.jpg

The whole front end is new now. Upgraded to HD rotors and pads for towing, absolutely worth it. Had a few scary stops in Oregon where the brakes paid for themselves. New struts, OME springs, control arms, ball joints, tie rods...etc. Drives great now. Also made a 4" SFD and had it installed. After 2 snapped CV's it was time to correct the suspension geometry. Keep that in mind if you are planning a 2" lift. CV bind is real and could destroy your CV's in epic fashion. Happened to me in the middle of nowhere, in the snow. Quick trail repair and removal of the CV left me limping in 3x4 and fighting to make it up and over a muddy snow bank all afternoon. Another reason to get lifetime warranty parts from Orielly or Autozone. Chunk of broken change that I only paid for once.

20160418_161212_zpstvlajevx.jpg

Installed a Smittybilt Xj bumper but it needs some modification to look right. While i got the bumper dirt cheap, in hindsight, it would have been better to have one made or do it myself next time. The XJ design is sweet but the proportions just dont look great on the R50. Especially after the SFD. I have a another design I drew up that will work much better I believe. Just gotta chalk it up as R&D

20160510_192741_zps1g5vx9ql.jpg

20160526_185611_zpsrr73bagr.jpg

The last few items will be some electronics, a snorkel and a redesigned bumper with winch. I'm somewhat tempted to throw the winch on now and call it good but every time I see the front end I cant help but want to redo it.
Edited by TowndawgR50
  • Like 6

Welcome to the pathfinder crew! Your pictures are really great and so is your rig. Those 15x12's look sick as well. Are you actually driving on them or did you just test fit it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Micahfelker. I test fit them and ran them briefly but the rubber was old. I currently run a set of Toyota wheels with 33's. I refurbished the old wheels which are definitely showing their age but cleaned up well. I have them ready to install new tires when the 33x16's are finished.

20160213_164355_zpskjgdlhnt.jpg

20160213_164333_zpszzdijy4t.jpg

20160224_183520_zps7inovlmo.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Had to replace the wheel bearings today. Pre-mature failure from improper installation and lack of lubrication. Goes without saying... I wont be returning to them for any future work.

brake%20job_zpsccao2wlq.jpg

20160828_123648_zps1ltaxkxm.jpg

Edited by TowndawgR50