My new 2001 LE 4x4

• 1 month later...

Finally got around to messing with some footage from earlier this year. Video of my CV blowing up and trying to get up a snowy and muddy hill afterwards. Took a while

https://www.youtube.com/embed/-8zVYLboVj0

What exhaust setup are you running? I kid you not, it sounds EXACTLY like mine does. I love it!

What exhaust setup are you running? I kid you not, it sounds EXACTLY like mine does. I love it!

Im pretty sure its 2.5" pipe from the cats back. Might be 3". Been a while now so I forgot. Not too loud under normal load, slightly more audible under throttle. The cats do all the muffling I want/need. Loud pipes save lives. Lesson hard learned as a motorcyclist years back.

Im pretty sure its 2.5" pipe from the cats back. Might be 3". Been a while now so I forgot. Not too loud under normal load, slightly more audible under throttle. The cats do all the muffling I want/need. Loud pipes save lives. Lesson hard learned as a motorcyclist years back.

So no muffler?

Sorta makes sense then. My piping (cats aside) is pretty much straight through, the mufflers are basically just spiral inserts. At cruising speed mine is almost silent and has absolutely no drone, but opens up and sounds amazing when you are on the throttle. I could record a sound clip if anyone is interested

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea, I was pretty happy with the outcome. I had a bunch of rust issues with the original exhaust so I replaced everything from the cats back with straight pipe and went up in size. Much less weight and I like the tone.

• 2 weeks later...

Spent this weekend working with the US Forest Service. Perfect weather, miles and miles of gorgeous trails and a hard days work. Got my chainsaw certification and worked clearing trails for the 2017 season over at Liberty. We all got administrative passes to use closed trails for 2017/2018 the purpose of trail maintenance but the upside is you get to go wheeling on pristine trails that haven't been destroyed by the public yet!!!

Arrived Saturday for class and camped that night to begin trail work Sunday morning, and there was lots of work for sure. We were on the trails from 10am until 845pm. Every time we cleared a fallen tree there was another, even larger one just around the corner. Really enjoyed the experience overall. I've used US FS trail systems forever and kind of took for granted the work required to keep these systems open for all to use. Now with budgets getting even smaller these places need everyone's help to keep them open. Definitely recommend volunteering for your local FS Ranger district if you can.

mCWrgub.jpg

UJZj02f.jpg

qyMHxz5.jpg

p6Xf28v.jpg

UEYI0fo.jpg

d51EGkc.jpg

BKOXcFk.jpg

5ZJV4AU.jpg

pxbHnr9.jpg

DTB8EDq.jpg

• Like 7

Awesome.

After being inspired by you, I looked into something like this for the Olympic national Forest, but I didn't see this sort of program over here. Most of the trail clearing around here is done by fire wood cutters. There are also groups like the Olympic Mountaineers that clear trails. Besides a fire wood permit, I don't see that they require any other permit. Of course I only looked online.

Edited by Citron

I wasnt aware of this type of program until hooking up with my 4x4 club. The entire group of volunteers was made up of different clubs and trail users. Moto, "jeepers", mountain bikers, snowmobile riders etc. There was about 60 total and the whole thing was put together by Cle Elum ORV FS rangers.

Contact an Olympic Forest ranger station and ask. I would think that area definitely gets help from volunteers because is so big. Lots of miles of forest to cover

They have closed most of the roads though. When a road gets blocked or washes out, they just close it instead of repair. Kind of a de facto roadless area. From what I have heard, the ranger in charge of a district has incredible leeway in how the district is operated.

If I can get connected with a group, it might be worth checking into the volunteer opportunities, may help keep some of the roads from closing.

Damn, thats unfortunate. He is probably limited by his budget. Cle Elum is similar but organized volunteers to keep things open without federal funds. Maybe a local 4x4 group could rally to work degraded roads. They have all the equipment you need, im sure, but just need the labor to help get it done.

Check out https://www.cleelumtrails.com/

Another weekend of trails at Liberty. One casualty with a Suzuki X-90 down with a broken clutch cable, thankfully on a main forest road and not the super tight, steep technical trails we were running. That would have been a mess. Probably would have had to leave it and come back with a new cable, hoping that it was still there with all its parts and not stripped or pushed off a cliff....

The upper routes get a little hairy with some of the steepest, loose, rocky inclines I've wheeled yet. It wasn't that bad for me with the longer wheelbase but those Suzukis has some sketchy moments. If I'm going to continue with these guys its time to stop fiddlin around and install Hawairish's rear lunchbox setup.

I've found that the R50 is pretty much the biggest thing that comes through these places. Super tight passage through trees is common with about a fingers width of space on each mirror. Although the advantage is that most really deep ruts and wallows I can straddle and get through easily where the narrow rigs have to deal with them.

After the trip we headed straight to the local pay'n spray pressure washer to clean 2 weekends worth of mud off the truck. They apparently graze sheep up there so the stuff smelled pretty awful.

PToc74L.jpg

Uo29JjU.jpg

T2STt0b.jpg

2d9mLBt.jpg

76mHzUY.jpg

sdqKlFp.jpg

pGxV1ER.jpg

• Like 5

thanks. It had been a while. Tried a trick the older club members told me about that worked pretty well. Give the underside of your truck a liberal misting of WD40 before heading into muddy terrain and when you pressure wash after everything comes off easy, plus it helps prevent rust

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I was looking at some of your pics you go some of the same places I do, lets get a trail run going soon I just got back from the NW Overland Rally and I want to hit more trails. I got rear ended last week so my truck will have to go in the shop soon but before then I want to out some miles on it.

Went to get some firewood today and some lights came on that didnt really make any sense. AT oil temp, e-brake, battery and check engine light were all illuminated without any mechanical or electrical symptoms of any kind. A head scratcher that is going to need some attention as 4th of July is just around the corner. check engine returns the same old downstream O2 sensor high voltage on bank 2 code that pops up and turns off all the time. Maybe related? The weird one is the ebrake. Despite being fully released it doesn't go off. Alternator is likely but why that would cause the brake light is beyond me.

BagnrVI.jpg

Edited by TowndawgR50