My new 2001 LE 4x4

Hi all-

Ive been following this forum for some time now, researching and learning from you all in anticipation of buying a 3.5 R50. After finding one and making the maiden 4x4 camping trip I can say Im totally impressed with this rigs capability, power and performance.

This past holiday weekend I took it through the Sierra mountains on a few trails and forest roads and tested its stock form thoroughly. Very pleased. Made it through some rough trails, in pouring rain and hail, and never let me down. I plan on upgrading a few items, mainly a lift with suspension levelers for towing, tires, lighting and underbody armor. I really appreciate all the information on this forum and look forward to participating in the future. Cheers

Some pics from this past trip and the trailer I'll be pulling around

DSC_0830_zpsareofyk6.jpg

End of trail day 1...so ridiculous i couldn't help it. Rainbow over the campsite and truck during thunder storms

DSC_0421_zpsf5ygujl4.jpg

DSC_0832_zpscrcxrvxj.jpg

DSC_0499_zps1taruwzr.jpg

DSC_0528_zpshq5nhskz.jpg

DSC_0866_zps5ouc3vvh.jpg

DSC_0875_zpsaqwudo1z.jpg

Tried on an old set of tires from my other nissan pickup. 15x12 with plenty of backspacing. Looks good with a little elevation....

IMG_0056_zpszarovmkx.jpg

The new toy hauler. Not going to haul any toys but converting it into a "tiny house"

starship%20amp%20astro%20orbitor_zpsdr9p

Edited by TowndawgR50
  • Like 5

Great pics! Welcome to the club! The Sierras have a ton of spectacularly scenic trails and great 4-wheeling/camping opportunities that the Pathfinder can handle without breaking a sweat. What trail did you run?

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I found Tony Huegels series of books on California trails and roads, using his Sierra's edition to find my way to Sadleback mountain, Poker Flat and the Sierra Buttes.

I was a little worried once down into the canyon creek area as it started pouring, the trail down was no longer a way out due to mud run-off and the place was full of active mining claims that have access roads easily mistaken for forest routes. Got lost a few times

The Poker flat trail had two creek crossings and a steep, rocky climb out but the Pathfinder conquered them easily. I had almost come to terms with a sense that I probably had bitten off more than the stock R50 could chew. Nothing but heavily modified jeeps and trucks rolling around these parts with jaws dropping at the sight of us coming out of these trails unscathed and grinning ear to ear.

Edited by TowndawgR50
  • Like 1

Welcome! Nice pics, good to see another silver pathy out there exploring the Sierras. :D Sounds like you've got some good plans, I'm interested in seeing what you do with that trailer.

Hi there! I am also owner of same model here in northern CA. I am just starting my adventure on my pathy. I am in Roseville outside Sacramento . I go to forest hill area frequently. I look forward to watching your pathy develop and mine as well.

Thanks everyone!

Found a roof rack today on craigslist and couldn't pass it up. Never used and still in its packaging for $40! Do the Northern California folks ever meet up for camping/trail runs? South Cow mountain looks interesting. I ordered Tony Huegels coastal and desert edition trail guides for future runs. I really enjoyed the few trails I ran and plan on attempting a few more before summers end. On a side note- my pack loves the spacious interior in the Pathfinder. If you cant tell Im a bit of a dog lover. A man, his truck, his best friend(s) and the open country....bliss

IMG_0003_zpsnnpwiooq.jpg

IMG_3935_zpscdz8i0xv.jpg

IMG_3950_zpszntqgbae.jpg

• Like 2

Love the dogs!

Search Stoic build thread. He devised a way to mount the racks directly to the side rails. So it sits lower. Pretty slick.

Sent from fat fingers on S6

Thanks, Rebelord! I was pretty happy with the rack find but definitely wanted something more low profile. Stoic's solution is perfect. Once again the information here has come though. I really appreciate everyone sharing things like this and hope to do the same in the future.

Bigger meats which I already have from my older 720 4x4...and a lift thanks to Fleurys. Just got here today. Tempted to install tonight as i just got home from work but I might make myself wait until the weekend. We'll see how that goes

IMG_0006_zpsmatouqhp.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

No, not against the SFD. Its just next on the priority list. For now I'm waiting on the last bit of parts to arrive to install the spacer lift, KYB's, Bilsteins and Warn hubs. Then later this summer I'll do the drop, before we head to Washington. Found the Bilsteins and KYB's super cheap online, but they came from different locations and the KYB's are last to arrive. Crossing my fingers for Monday!

• Like 1

If you eventually do the SFD, you will only need new rear shocks. Dunno about the strutspacers....might give you that Cali lift look. I don't have any and I set level....I also am one of the few that didn't need a camber kit after install. :happy:

the Bilsteins should be ok, they are longer than stock to accommodate the lift. Hoping to get it together in the next 2 weeks or so. Eager to hit some trails and test run a trip with the trailer. We're headed to Washington in August so it has to be road ready w a few trips under the belt.

the Bilsteins should be ok, they are longer than stock to accommodate the lift. Hoping to get it together in the next 2 weeks or so. Eager to hit some trails and test run a trip with the trailer. We're headed to Washington in August so it has to be road ready w a few trips under the belt.

From my email, Andrew from Krypton told me:

"If you have 2" lift springs up front, then that will combine with our 4" kit for a total of 6". In the rear you will want the 5.5" lift springs from a wj jeep. Iron rock offroad carries these. These will mount with our regular wj adapters. For shocks in the rear, you will want a set of rear 2000 F350 2wd shocks. If your pathfinder is a 99+ (newer body style), you will want the same application but specifically a monotube type shock."

So, if the Bilsteins would fit a 2000 F350 2WD....they will work. I don't remember the stroke length that it has....