3rd Member swap

So im tired of getting stuck with one tire on the air, and having friends pull my up the tiny off camber hills. I was wondering if it's just a drop in or did the lsd rears have stronger axles?

I know, I know "Why not just swap the whole axle and get disk brakes?" Well I would like to, but if I want the disk brakes couldn't I just swap the hubs assembly?

Edited by Bubbley11

The LSD rear end is different, you can't swap the assembly into the open diff. That's why you can't put lockers in the LSD diff because they can only fit the open diff. Your option for better rear traction is to do a full rear end swap if you want an LSD or get a locker of some kind. mechanical lockers are cheaper and are engaged whenever you are propelling the car forward, of you let off the gas it unlocks, this allows you to turn and drive on the highway. Downfall is it burns up your tires quicker due to them chirping all the time on pavement. Positives is it is cheaper than an ARB locker, which is powered by air and can be engaged and disengaged whenever you press the button. Those are your best options for rear traction, an LSD helps a lot, I have been using up until now, (just finished a swap to a lockrite mechanical) but when that wheel goes in the air you still lose all forward bite, you can use the ebrake sometimes to help equalize it though.

• Like 1

You can just swap the 3rd member in. You'll need to disconnect the brake lines (easy) and undo the 4 bolts at each end so you can pull the shafts out just until they disengage from the diff. Then you can unbolt the third and pull it out. I swapped in an LSD version into my old pathy and it took me about 2-3 hours and never having done any work on rear ends before. Make sure you have new fluid on hand and inspect the doner part carefully.

Or go with a locker. But that's a little more work, but worth it if you plan on wheeling a lot.

I don't go offroading a lot but do have a group of buds who go up often. Ive been with them and only had to get pulled twice. That's when my rocker panels got smashed. I was thinking swapping the whole 3rd would have been easier then getting the lsd itself, glad to know that it's a drop in.

Guess I need to go source a 3rd member and some gear oil. It's gl-4 80w90, with an lsd additive correct?

Gl-5 80w-90

I do have to say and repeat. Inspect the one your going to swap and make sure they have the right gear set. I to am looking for a new one for my 96 with the lsd with the 4.6? And it's a PITA.