94 SE auto Transmission

Hi everyone i have looked but haven't come across this anyplace so please forgive me if it has come up, While driving home @ 65mph my pathy shifted out of overdrive, when I got off the highway and could slow down if I left her in Dr she would shift out off gear if I down shifted to second she would go in gear but not downshift when completely stopped, if I put her in first she would downshift. When taking off in first then shifting to second she would shift once if I shift up to third nothing it seems if have second and third and have lost first and overdrive any help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry I was so long winded but wanted to give as much info as possible, Thanks again Paul

No cooler installed. Going to drain and flush tomorrow and check if radiator is clogged. No haven't checked codes. Is the control module the same as the engine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It sounds like you may have issues related to transmission overheating. Overheating of the transmission is a well known issue in the WD21's and the cause of many dead transmissions Transmission cooler is one of the "must do" mods on the WD21 imo. I have the same year truck as you do. Had similar transmission problems. Ended up getting the transmission rebuilt many many years ago ($$) and installed transmission cooler. Haven't had a problem since.

Edited by JackStraw1

There's a procedure for checking trans codes in the FSM, you basically match the flashes of the light in the "power mode" switch to the tables in the book and figure out what it thinks is wrong. It's not the same as the engine computer.

Glad to hear you got er back going. I still would strongly urge you to do the trans cooler, esp if that radiator is original. They have really come down in price and its an easy and quick bit of transmission protection.