engine problem, sudden lost of power P0011, P0021

maikan

Hey guys,

I own a 2004 chinook pathfinder with 176000 km.

Last month i experienced a sudden lost of power. I couldn't get over 60 kmh and couldn't drive uphill. SEL light up.

So I check my oil level and found it dry! No oil was shown on the dipstick.

I put oil in, go do a oil change and pull out the code. They were P0011 and P0021.

The mechanic make me change the cam or timing sensor and told me that the problem can be solve

by chanfing the faulty sensor or a complete timing job.

The sensor is changed and the loss of power is still happening alomost everytime i take my truck, after maybe 30 minutes of driving.

Often i shut off the engine wait for a minute and it came back allright.

So do you guys have any idea what i shoulf do before taking the plunge and open up the engine. Because I don't think

i will bite the bullet and do the job.

Thank you

I think I would first try to figure out why there was no oil in your truck. That might lead you to the solution. Did you check around for obvious signs of leaking? Front and rear main seals? Pan gasket? Did you run over something?

I've been told that putting synthetic oil in the truck was a mistake. It could have glazed the engine and therefore burning more oil.

The truck is not leaking, no oil showing anywhere.

A problem with the timing gear is what the mechanic told me. So opening up the engine and go check it is their solution.

Damn I have 176 000 km !

Clogged cats maybe?

A good sign for that is low power, no acceleration, backfires and I think rapid oil consumption at least it did in a Geo we had. I would run the car for 30 minutes and see if the cat is glowing red or disconnect it to see if all comes back. It's worth a shot but will be loud.

I've been told that putting synthetic oil in the truck was a mistake. It could have glazed the engine and therefore burning more oil.

The truck is not leaking, no oil showing anywhere.

A problem with the timing gear is what the mechanic told me. So opening up the engine and go check it is their solution.

Damn I have 176 000 km !

So ... you put synthetic oil in and you think it all burned through the engine? and now you have regular oil and no leaking.? How long and ~ how many miles did you drive between putting in the synthetic oil and noticing that there was no oil in the engine? Did the exhaust smoke all the time ?

(BTW, agree about not putting synthetic oil in older vehicles. The seals will usually leak like a sieve. Don't know about engine glazing. I think that is more likely if you did not notice that the oil was dry and you ran it for a while. The heat produced by driving like this would definitely tend to produce glazing)

There is no "timing gear" per se and you don't need to "open up the engine" to check the timing belt, water pump, cam and front main seals. There are a a couple of very good DIY timing belt change threads on here with pictures. Have a look at those for a better idea of what is involved.

I don't know why you can't go back and edit a post beyond the first few minutes any longer but... that being said, there are pulleys with gears on the cams for timing. So timing gears. Don't know what I was thinking there in the previous post. Still.. you don't need to "open the engine" to access them and check.

There is a window of 10 minutes (IIRC) for editing, and after that it locks. Some people abused the open editing privilege to the point that we had to limit it. Sorry, but there is good reason for it.

Yes, the 2001-2004 have the VQ35 not the VG33 to which the timing belt info stated is accurate. It happens... :shrug:

To the OP, if you haven't already, download a copy of the FSM from the pinned thread in the Garage section.

Those codes are for the IVT control (Intake Valve Timing?), and one of the first things they mention is connections or harness, so check that as well as you can first. The fact that you can shut the vehicle off and it goes away tells me it is an electronic issue rather than a mechanical/hydraulic, so that is the direction I would look first. Besides, it is far cheaper and easier than the next steps...

B

From what I saw in the FSM i have 2 cam sensor. My mechanic changed only one. He saw one on the engine, check the catalog, saw only one listed, and concluded i have only one.

I will change the second one and hope.

Seems very hard to find out what the problem is. The sensor, the solenoid, sludge in the engine,clogged cats.

The stories on the code P0011 and p0021 are for the most part very sad.

I 'clogged' a cat before... it was on a 71 pinto that I ran so hot (slightly modified engine) that it melted the honeycomb interior into a big lump of solid blockage. Talk about back-pressure.