Charging Issue

ebayfish

Don't crucify me for this, but I'm looking to buy a 2000 frontier, 3.3 auto 4wd. The seller has listed the speedometer cluster is out & due to this, the battery is not charging by the alternator. Both battery & alternator test good. I've heard of some issues due to a certain light in the dash burning out. Any ideas, or is it full of electrical gremlins & I should walk away?

Oh jeez, I have never heard of the light going out causing something, but generally, you buy a car that works, or you know exactly why the problem is. So unless this is screaming deal, walk away dude. It's not worth it.

I'm running into charging issues with my 280Z, and I'm just running through the basics, (it's a little more basic on a classic, but same principles apply). Check connections, looking for loose or corroded terminals or grounds. Have the battery tested again, and the alt tested again, just confirm what the PO claimed (it's just a rule of thumb for me, never trust what the owner said, always make your own diagnosis). Check all the fuses and relays, replace as nessecary. Check for a short, someone else might chime in on this one, because I have only seen the guys on hotrod garage do that.

-Kyle