Upper control arm thread repair failed...Now what?

dthemiley

After wheeling over the weekend I discovered that the upper control arm spindle was sitting on the frame funny. It turned out I had stripped out the Time-Sert inserts I had installed in the frame. I've looked online and the Big-Sert inserts are not offered in M14x1.5. Do you guys have any ideas to fix this?

I'm not sure of the size hole required for the timeserts, do you recall? That might limit what your options are and you might have to do what Adam suggested. I'll take a good look tomorrow to see if there is anything else I can come up with.

An important question is why you keep stripping the holes out. Could you be losing alignment shims and then it fails from there? If so, going with captive washers would be the way to go.

B

The drill in the kit is 37/64 if that answers the question. As to the damage I'm not sure what is causing it, It has always had washers instead of shims. I'm wondering if bad compression rod bushings and a big rock could of caused it?

Yes, that is a hole diameter of .578" (14.68mm). A M14 helicoil needs a 14.3mm hole, so in order to use one you would have to build up material and redrill like Adam mentioned.

http://www.thorintl.com/Drill-Sizes-HeliCoils-Metric.shtml

Sorry, I was out of town today and didn't look. Can through bolts be used instead.

B