Header Install

daczone

I realized my pathfinder VG33 swap exhaust started to get real loud, I found the culprit was a cracked manifold on the passenger side. After looking for a replacement I have decided to install a set of headers. The options seem quite limited and hopefully this thread will help someone else out.

From what I have read on this forum:

OBX Header

Pros: Cheap, Thick tubes, lifetime warranty, stainless construction

Cons: No cross over pipe, exhaust shop work required to install, questionable fitment on a non-body lifted vehicle

Pacesetter Header (Black)

Pros: Cheap, Long tube design, includes crossover, sold as a direct bolt on, 3 year warranty

Cons: Painted coating burns right off, 3 year warranty, 16 gauge steel

Pacesetter Header (W/Armor Coat)

Pros: Durable coating, Long tube design, Coating reduces heat in the engine bay, includes crossover, sold as a direct bolt on, 3 year warranty

Cons: Double the cost of 'CHEAP' (Affordable) headers, 16 gauge steel

Doug Thorley

Pros: Mid tube design, includes crossover, sold as a direct bolt on, Lifetime warranty, 14 gauge steel, coated header

Cons; Price, Questionable fitment with the 5 speed manual transmission due to hydraulic clutch.

So I decided to go with the Pacesetter w/Armor Coat. Long tube design, bolt in and includes coating. $370 to my door. I thought about doing the Black set and wrapping them with heat tape, which would have cost me about $50 to wrap both headers, So for $100 more the coating seems like a bargain.

More pics once I get them in my hands and get them installed.

I'd love to hear from anyone else that has installed a set of headers.

pacesetters on mine. cooked the paint off the first time I drove it. Had to do some other work a couple weeks later so I sprayed them with a high-temp paint and they still look ok. No longer shiny, but ok just the same.

There is no fitment issue with the manual trans on the thorleys

Not sure where I got that info... I tried to confirm it and couldn't. That is good to know.

I almost went that route... Only about $100 difference between the 2.

thorley used to list it in their app guide that way. I don't think they actually ever test fitted them on the truck with a manual trans but I know they fit from personal experience and many others have done it as well. I've run them for years and usually have them in stock. They are are good set of headers.

That probably would have been my choice, but wasn't sure because of that. My headers came today, so hopefully I'll get a chance to get them installed before the weekend. I'm already looking to replace the stock muffler, but not sure which was to go. I've read I need some back pressure or I will lose torque. I'd like a little performance noise, but not crazy loud. I did buy an electronic exhaust cutout for my rig, but haven't decided if I'm going to use it.

So I'm looking at a 2.25" turbo or chambered muffler. I kinda like the Magnaflow.

I have a 2.5 MagnaFlow cat with cherry bomb glasses pack with pacsetter headers

You don't have to pass smog tests, do you? Unless something has changed in the last few years, Pacesetter headers aren't CARB aproved, and 2.5" cat is above the 2" maximum diameter for a WD21.

B

I actually just passed smog in cali i used stock headers then swapped back. My exhaust was rebuilt because the previous owner used 1.25 inch piping pre cat and it led into a 1.25 cat with a stretched out exit of 1.5 that led into a 2 inch muffler and out.

Unrelated I had to swap out the crank pulley because there was no top dead center mark left and the smog guy was being a stickler.

That setup made the car run aweful.

I currently have wrapped after market headers that lead into 2.5 pipe to the 2.5 MagnaFlow cat then to a 2.5 cherry bomb. Honestly I thought I'd regret using 2.5 but so far no issue.

When I smogged it the guy ran the MagnaFlow carb number said it was fine and all was good. I didn't point it out he just saw it was a fresh cat. I was of course going to use my stock headers because the wrapped ones didn't look stock.

I got my headers yesterday and began the install. You can certain see how they should perform better over the old manifold LOG's I removed. Mine where both cracked.

Quality seems good, welds are quality but they could have provided some instruction better than unbolt and remove old and install new headers with torque specs.

Firstly It took about 5 minutes to realize they install from UNDER the vehicle. 2ndly, it is a 2 person job. I got them on but could NOT get the crossover pipe connected and the drivers side torson bar is really in the way. I also have to slide the existing exhaust back in order to have some movement of the crossover pipe.

Also my old EGR line is NOT coming off at the manifold side, so I need to get a new one. (Thinking of plugging it... but not sure if they will throw a code).

Completed my header install today. Using the Pacesetter headers requires one of the BUNG's to be plugged, I believe this is for an air pump. My 93 doesn't have one. So you need a 24mm 1.5 thread pitch plug or bolt. I hit 3-4 autoparts stores, A quick google search and someone referenced a Audi/VW Oil plug (v8). The part # is 028103059A I paid about $12 for it.

IMG_0860.jpg

All said I am happy with the quality of the pacesetters and glad I didn't try to wrap a set with header wrap as they are a tight fit. I had a tough time getting the crossover pipe on. Here are my install notes:

1. Headers install from underneath the vehicle.
  2. You need to remove the front drive line as well as the mid pipe from the cat to the front of the crossover. You need the wiggle room to get the crossover pipe on.
  3. I used some dish soap to get the crossover pipe to SLIDE onto the headers, Without (and I tried 4-5 times) was a NO GO.
  4. Needed VW Oil Plug 028103059A to plug the 24mm upper bung.
  5. Needed to bend the EGR pipe slightly to get it in place. it may have been bent over the years. But it needs to be heated to bend it.
  6. Headers appear to be well made and fit perfectly on my 93 pathfinder. Motor is a VG33 and the larger studs fit the headers without any additional work.

Hope this helps someone... I wished I had found a reference, Took me about 4 hours in total once the old was removed. The old manifold on the drivers side was a tough one to remove the downpipe due to access. I ended up pulled it from the block and then removing the bolts to the downpipe by moving it around.

Okay I threw a muffler on today and got this project wrapped up... I'm going to take it in to have the axle hoop done. I ended up just putting a 2-1/4" (stock appears to be 1-3/4 ID) generic turbo muffler on it. My cat was replaced by the previous owner and it looked good. So it was reused. I also added an electric exhaust dump (I bought it a while back and had no good purpose for it, so I threw it on.) It's a bit on the loud side with the dump open, but when closed there is a nice throaty rumble to my motor now. Definitely added some power. The BUTT dyno says so. The mid range power feels very strong now, where before it was less than exciting. I'd guess this yielded a god 10% bump in power, maybe a little more.

Motor is a freshened JDM VG33e with the VG30e cams but otherwise stock, about 100 miles on it so far.

IMG_0871.jpg