Need some help guys

snowboard419

So my truck has been running very poor lately. Running very rich, missing and stumbling from idle to high speed hot and cold. I replaced spark plugs and read the new plugs after about 50 miles and they were quite sooty. Initailly i thought maf, coolant temp, tps. but all have tested perfectly as per fsm. fuel pressure is correct. and i just replaced the maf with a junkyard unit but no change in running at all. I have ohmed out the wiring harness from all sensors to ecu and everything is coming back spot on. I am starting to run out of ideas. Your thoughts?

Are you sure you are getting a good spark at the plugs?

Any vacuum leaks? (only considering they might compound the problem)

No ECU codes? It doesn't happen often, but sometimes the ECUs fail. Check the connection there, and look for water damage?

B

checked spark at a couple of random plugs, tested fine. I have sprayed the entire manifold looking for vacuum leaks with no avail. ECU shows no codes but it does read rich on the mixture test. No signs of any water near the ecu or connector but i have not actually opened it up yet. I have yet to check timing, i had inspected the belt not very long ago. but those are my next steps before I source an ecu. I have an M30 ecu in my garage waiting to help a vg34 nistune build but i don't want to be changing any wiring until i have this thing running well so i know if i screw anything up during the swap.

Definitely check the timing with and inductive timing light. Seems like you are describing some of the symptoms of off timing. Your FSM will tell you where it should be (probably 15 before top dead center). Easy to reset or adjust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

So I think I have it figured out. I burrowed a vantage pro lab scope from the snap-on guy and started poking around. I did a voltage signature test on the injectors and had some readings that were all over the charts. cyl # 2 looked good but everything else was off. so i then ohmed out all the injectors one by one and got the following. #1 no reading #2 12.75ohms #3 no reading #4 10 ohms #5 75 ohms #6 41 ohms. so I am kind of amazed this thing even runs. Anyone have a set of injectors for sale??

So I think I have it figured out. I burrowed a vantage pro lab scope from the snap-on guy and started poking around. I did a voltage signature test on the injectors and had some readings that were all over the charts. cyl # 2 looked good but everything else was off. so i then ohmed out all the injectors one by one and got the following. #1 no reading #2 12.75ohms #3 no reading #4 10 ohms #5 75 ohms #6 41 ohms. so I am kind of amazed this thing even runs. Anyone have a set of injectors for sale??

I question the no readings and that only 2 injectors were in the proper 10-14 ohm range. Try it again with a different meter.

I have a few, not 6. What color code do you have?

B

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, sorry i have not made an update in a while but here is where we sit. I had re tested all the injectors at the actual injector and got very similar readings with 2 different meters and earlier i said no reading when i should have said out of limit reading they were in the mega ohm range. so i got some injectors online and swapped them out, new vac lines, valve cover gaskets, upper intake, etc. put it all together and it ran a lot better but still has a dead miss at idle worse when cold. so did a compression test finally( should have been the first or second thing i did :headwall: ) and the readings are as follows #1-130 #2-130 #3-130 #4-130 #5-130 #6-10 all of the good cylinders were within 1-3 psi of each other. But I tell you what I am a damn pro at getting to that number 6 plug now. Time to find a vg33.

could it be just a valve spring that is broken on your number 6 ? At 10 psi, this is pretty significant loss of pressure and for me it's either a huge hole in the piston or a valve that stays open...

Agreed, that something is so different on 1 cylinder makes me think of head issues as well. I have heard of cams breaking occasionally...

A VG33 is always a nice upgrade, but it might be worth just pulling that valve cover gasket and see if it might be a reasonably cheap/easy fix. You know your situation best.

Sorry it wasn't an easier fix!

B

I was able to do a poor mans leakdown test by removing the valve stem on the compression tester and hooking it up to my air compressor and there is a significant amount of air going by the rings, that was my first hope was valve train issues but it is not looking like that is going to be that simple.