Body Damage

PJSnow

Hey guys, so I got hit and just wanted some suggestions to see what you guys think I should do. The backstory, I parked it right in front of the house on the street for about 36 hrs and i come out to see the driver's door is bent in. At first it was difficult to open but now it opens and closes fine (i guess it popped out a bit). But didn't get a note or anything so I have no idea who did it. Never had to do body work before so Im new to all this. From where i stand i see 3 options:

1 I get a body shop to get it looking new again but for probably a pretty penny

2 I try to find a color match door from a junk yard (how hard to replace doors?)

3 I leave it

money is pretty tight right now but Im really frustrated. here are some pictures. let me know what you guys think

image_zpsadir7rur.jpg

image_zpsmv09vcoe.jpg

image_zpsr5f4edqd.jpg

I also have the stock decal across the whole side. So if i get a door from the junk yard then ill have one panel without the decal and the rest with, or is that all removable anyway?

And yes the paint is chipping in the spot where the metal "pinched"

Sorry to hear man this sucks. People are assholes. No integrity.

Well I'd say weigh your options, get a quote from a few body shops, check out some junk yards and see what you come up with. I definitely wouldn't leave it. It would bug me too much and it's gonna be the beginning of a downwards spiral.

When you say decal, are you talking about that pin stripe? Maybe see if you can remove it al around. Unless it's actually painted on.

I'm assuming you dont have full coverage? Un-insured coverage usually covers this type of thing.

With those creases, it will be hard to do with little body work experience. I would try to find one in a junk yard.

• Like 1

Same with with above. Try and find a color matched door, and move your parts over. While mounting doors is not hard, it can be very tedious trying to get it to match up. Keeping door jam gaps even is tricky from what I've heard.

The only issue with buying a used door is even if you buy a door with the same color, you run the risk of the color still matching up, with some colors this can be true, yours appears to be the silver color. Should be okay.

But because every car is subject to so many different factors over its life. Every paint ages differently (or can, doesn't mean it will show you the eye) . Hence why it can look different due to age, abuse and generally the life it led before it got into your hands.

But if money is tight, and the door functions, I'd just try and deal with it until you can practically afford to fix it.

Just my two cents.

-Kyle

Thanks guys

so i went to 2 body shops and they basically said the same thing. To fix the door it would be about a grand and they both recommended looking in junk yards. So i called up a few junk yards and the general price i got was $250 but nobody had the color now (its the brown/grey stone color). and i am a bit worried about swapping the doors if i ever get it. Im not great with electronics and ive heard getting all the gaps even is a nightmare. The body shop said it would be $150-$200 after i get them the door. So when I save up enough i guess its going to be somewhere around $500 hopefully unless i attempt to get the door on there myself.

but one quick question. since mine is an SE with the black side mirrors, so i have to get another SE door or can the LE color matched mirror be taken off and switched with my black one?

Without having looked specifically at the two, I'm certain that the mirrors can be taken off and swapped. They were plugged in/bolted on, so they can be unbolted and unplugged. ;)

Sorry to hear that the random damage fairy paid you a visit, that is pretty rude.

B

• Like 1

You can swap the mirror and interior door panel from your current door into the new one.

This. Again, sorry about the damage. Hopefully you can find something that works for you in the junkyard. You can always strip it down inside and out, and have it color matched to have a more professional look.