How do you get your "fix"?

5523Pathfinder

Easy there Walter White, not that kind of fix. Your off-roading fix! Lets face it, we don't get enough time on the trail as we would like. Between work, home, garden, kids, people wanting me to work on their junk and who know what else, I don't get to go out as often as I would like. So I started to find ways to get my "fix". Here are a few examples...

1. Petersons 4Wheel and Off-Road magazine. I've had this subscription for quite some time, but I was thinking of letting it go not to long ago. But about a year ago, a new editor was named, Fred Williams. I got to say, the mag has been a lot more fun to read and its not all Jeep stuff. Not that I had anything against the old editor, Rick Pewe, but he seemed like a dedicated Jeep guy. Fred seems to be taking the mag in a broader direction with other makes and models, as well as dipping into the "Overlanding" stuff. This has also brought me to watch his Dirt Every Day series on youtube. Its been very fun to watch!

2. The 4x4podcat and the NissanNationPodcast. I found the 4x4podcast after listening to some other podcasts with my wife (NPR stuff, TED talks). Which were fine on their own, but I wanted something I was a little more interested in. Searched and found the 4x4podcast. They currently have 95 episodes to listen to. I started at the beginning and have just finished #95 a week or so ago. Not a bad program. I was worried it was going to be all about jeeps, but not so much. More of a wheeling/adventure series. I recommend checking it out. The 4x4podcast broght me to the NissanNationPodcast. They had some interviews with some Xterra guys who started their own podcast, but all about Nissan stuff! They are new and only have 5 episodes right now, but fun to listen to. Both podcasts make me feel like I'm just sitting around with the guys chatting. If there is something I don't care about or whatever, I just skip it and move on to the next. Again, I recommend checking them out. I usually download a episode or two and listen when I'm working in the garage or out on the mower.

There are also some random Youtube videos and stuff, but nothing else that has given me that "fix" and that drive to find a job where they pay me to wheel! I know, I know. I guy can dream can't he?

Well, now that you heard me ramble on, How do you get your fix?

http://www.the4x4podcast.com
http://www.nissannationpodcast.com/Nissan_Nation_Podcast/Show.html
http://www.fourwheeler.com/4wheel-off-road-magazine/

Sometimes when I am out in the yard working and I need my fix, I walk over to the 4x4 and hit it with a shovel to make a dent, then to go over to one of the planters, make vroom-vroom noises, pick up a handful of dirt and throw it in my face. On a good day, there isn't any cat sheit in the dirt...

Good links and thanks for the info, I'll definitely check them out. I kind of drifted away from reading magazines and watching shows because they were mostly either all Jeep and unlimited budget eXTreMe WroK KraWLers (or mudders), or so contrived and padded with repeats and filler that it wasn't very interesting. Hard to find the sort of things most of are able/capable/interested in doing...

B

Also let's face it, the magazines have high dollar rigs. I don't have that kind of money. I'm not jealous. I prefer to think a little more practical.

Also let's face it, the magazines have high dollar rigs. I don't have that kind of money. I'm not jealous. I prefer to think a little more practical.

You should check out the Cheap Truck Challenge then!

• Like 1

I used to hunt down "free" subscriptions to a couple 4x mags, I'm sure the new resident of my old address gets more entertainment than I was lately though (if anything out of getting a magazine addressed to "Duke Soapington"). Now I just sit on my porch and look at WhiteOwl...

I did watch the first two episodes last night. I do like the BMW moto.... that guy is c-A-rrrazy doing that stuff with the stock tires! I think I'll watch the rest of the episodes though, I did like the first two.

• 2 weeks later...

I must say... I'm addicted to road kill from motor trend... These 2 guys are just great... When I want to relax and laugh a bit and forget about everything... this is it :

Big fan here too, I'm not as big on Dirt Every Day, but Roadkill is my favorite show, web or otherwise.

I get my off roading fix via reading Overland blogs, as I'm bigger on camping, exploration, and expeditions than just going out and rock crawling or desert running. So I spend time on Expedition Portal, this forum, and watch the aforementioned YouTube shows plus the non-off road car shows. I'm addicted to TheSmokingTire/Drive and Jay Leno's Garage, and typically shoot the off-road and car sh** whenever I'm with my buddies. That keeps me sustained somewhat. That and constantly replacing parts on the Pathy for off road or trip purposes helps me spend time and money I don't have.

I get my fix (until I get out and do the real deal) by spending too much time on here (NPORA), the inter webs in general, buying things I probably don't need, but want and imagine one day I'll be surviving the zombie apocalypse because of my Pathinder

Roadkill is awesome! I watch the Mecum and Barret auctions on speed channel at work. All the older dudes that come in are gearheads as well, so keeps em entertained.Also, my drive home does me ok. Highway 9 through Santa Cruz mountains is pretty nice drive. Winding 2 lane road, then pull onto my road which is partially paved, and that part is pretty bad. Playing dodge the potholes, or aim for the potholes is kinda like a tech trail.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Our very own SteeevO of Rugged Rocks was on the Nissan Nation podcast!!!

http://www.nissannationpodcast.com/Nissan_Nation_Podcast/Show.html

Scroll down till you see episode 014

If you read this SteeevO, thanks for the NPORA shout!

Edited by 5523Pathfinder
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...