1996 Pathfinder cutting out while driving then starts right up. Any advice?

fish4hc

I recently bought a pathfinder from a family member for dirt cheap. Its a 96 and was really well taken care of but I dont know much about these as Im a chevy truck guy so this is very foreign to me.

The problem is every once in a while it dies while driving but it only does it when going over 40-45 mph and up. It starts right back up like nothing happened. It idles perfect and seems to run great. No codes coming up. Really weird. Its only the motor that dies, all acc stays on. My first instinct is possible fuel problem but heck I dont know. Seems like it could be quite a few things from researching but it seems weird that it only does it at higher speeds under more load which why I was thinking fuel.

Any nissan guys have this problem before or any advice.

Kind of frustrating as I can diagnose and fix anything on my chevy truck but Im lost looking at the nissan motor.

Thanks guys!!!

Inline fuel filter would be my first item to check/replace, especially with no codes. It is above the rear diff...

Don't get lost between the chevy and a (newer?) Nissan. They have extra items, but all basic principles are the same. I highly recommend you go to the pinned thread in the Garage section and download a free copy of your year's FSM. It will clear up a lot of questions you have, helping you to transition, but it also has a good diagnostic section for all sorts of symptoms/failures (EC section IIRC). This is where I would check if my vehicle was doing this.

Welcome to NPORA BTW. :beer:

B

I wouldn't suspect the fuel system. It wouldn't just intermittently cut off and then on.

It would sputter and surge and shudder.

I am going to say ignition system. Get a new ignition module and wires/plugs.

I would say it was the distributor. It has the coil and igniter and rotor all inside the distributor. If you do buy a new one from the parts store get one with a lifetime guarantee.

Welcome! I'm leaning more towards an electrical or ignition issue, but it's always better to properly diagnose instead of just throwing parts at it, that gets expensive real quick. Like precise mentioned, download the factory service manual from a link in the garage section of this forum, it'll help immensely.

Remove the distributer cap. See alot of fine dust? Almost reddish in color? Then your distributor is shorting out.

Can find em on ebay or Craigslist pretty cheap. Probably for $50 or less. Can rob it of parts. A reman or new is $300+

Sent from my Moto X

Edited by Rebelord

Would check the fuel pressure after a long drive, snap the throttle and make sure it doesn't dip too much. Based on what i found there I would investigate further. As far as the filter, change it and chalk it up to routine maintenance. If the problem persist do some more investigating. If the pressure is low when you check it, a few options, pump / filter / regulator. If the regulator is bad it would probably make it run rich at idle because the vacuum wouldn't open it up, unless its leaking or something, but it wouldnt take u long to figure that out from the fumes and such.

hope this at least gives you a starting point

Pat

P.S. if it comes down to the pump, i believe there is an access hatch for it on the driver side around the finder well area inside the rear of the pathy. "havent seen it with my own eyes yet, but that's the roomer"

this sounds exactly like what happened to my 97. It would just quit while driving and then start back up and go for a while then randomly quit again. I took it to a shop and they found a connector leading to the distributor was loosing its contact. they taped it together and it went for a while then did it again. So i put a zip tie around it to hold the connectors together and no more issues. Sorry i don't know what the wire is, but the connector sits just in front of the distributor and the wire runs to the left side of the distributor.