tranny fluid question

blindgungfu

Okay so I am totally new to pathfinders, and this forum. Looks like the best one out there. I read the forum about the 5.1 liters and not 3.6 in the manual tranny. Also, that I néed gl4 75w90. Well, all Napa has is 85w90. Gl4 of course. This sufficient? Just bought the rig, seems like it's been sitting, all the fluids are a couple years old I suspect. Need it changed like yesterday, just obviously don't want to put the wrong stuff in there.

Do not put GL-5 in there. Thats one of the other reasons for manual transmission failure. Redline GL-4 is a popular option and works very well IMHO. I put it in my transmission after I had to put a new one in due to the previous owner having GL-5 installed. Strangely enough, I bought the Redline fluid from a Napa!

Wierd, maybe I should call another napa. Well I have gl-4, the question is the viscosity, everywhere on here says 75w90 gl-4. I have 5.5 liters of 85w90 gl-4. Cool to use? Or not cool to use? Do I need the 75, or is 85 good?

Wow, I am an idiot. First time with manual here, guess i could of just googled that question. Sorry for my abruptness, I was in a get stuff done mode.

I called all napas in my area and the only thing that's 75w90 gl-4 is synthetic. I would like the 75 cause it gets cold once in a while, and I'm a fan of less resistance if possible.

Anyways, I am so confused on synthetics, is it cool to switch to a full synthetic gl-4?

Yes, its fine. Probably the last time you will need to fill it, unless the trans has some issue in the future! Just be sure its GL-4. 75-90 synthetic is pretty much your only choice, and many here have done that to save thier transmission. I tried Royal Purples 80-90 and it didnt help, the damage was already done. Got a new trans(from a member here) and filled it with Redline 75-90 and I havent had a issue since.

The difference between GL-4 and GL-5 is how it reacts to metal. The type of metal Nissan used to make the gears/bearings/ect, is softer. In laborers terms, the GL-5 attacks the metal and weakens it. GL-4 doesnt do that(synthetic or not). Im sure you google both and learn more than you ever wanted to know!

Edited by 5523Pathfinder

^X2

GL-4 is soft metal/yellow metal safe (brass, bronze, etc). GL-5 is a self inflicted repair bill.

Redline is worth the cost from everything I have heard as well.

B

Thank you for the help. I am glad i found the right place for my thumbs to hang out! How about this question,

When I switch to synthetic, do I need to flush the old oil? Or can I just drain it then fill with synthetic, and have whatever residual mineral is in there mix with the synthetic? And if I do have to flush, how?

Exactly, you'll never get all of the old stuff out unless you take the tranny out and give it a good inversion and shaking. ;)

Just drain and fill, that will work fine. Stabworthy makes a good point as well, there is a TSB about 'overfilling' the tranny to avoid possible bearing starvation, the recommended amount is 5.1 liters (5 quarts should be fine). The TSB thread is in the Garage/TSB section and describes how to fill the tranny via the shifter hole.

B

Another vote for the Redline GL4, I had to replace my transmission, coincidentally, the same time as 5523 and did for the same reasons. I went with Redline MT90 and have had no problems since. Sure, the bill is higher but the cost was worth it. :aok:

As above, you'll never get it all out without a teardown, so just let drain until it stops and you'll be ok.

Hey guys! I was reading all what you wrote, and I was wondering if maybe you may know. I recently buy a used transmission and the second gear is kind of hard, its like yo feel something that doesnt let the gear enter flawless. I all ready change the fluid, quaker gl4, it frecuently happen in high revs

Could be the second gear synchro, and it could be the socket the shifter ball sits in (plastic IIRC). If it is worn or damaged, it might not be aligning properly or allowing the proper throw for that gear. I know there is a thread about it here, and downloading the FSM from the thread in the Garage section will provide an expanded view (1994 should work as an example).

The last one can be checked, the first one you live with until the tranny is replaced or rebuilt.

B

Thax Precise1! ill look for the thread, the strange thing is that it is only in high revs, i dont know if its me or what cause the person who sold it to me told me that it doest happen to him...