Fuel gauge issue

JamieXD

Hey guys!

So I just installed a new 8V voltage regulator on my gauge cluster as per the soultion2.pdf. My coolant temp gauge now seems to be working, but the fuel gauge is still inop. I'm suspecting the fuel sending unit is the culprit & after a quick search here it seems like that's pretty spot on. My question though, is what exactly am I looking for? I'm gonna check the wiring for loose connection, corrosion, voltage, etc. Just wanna see what you guys think.

Thanks!

30aq1px.jpg

xbn8et.jpg

If you are asking where to locate the Fuel Sending Unit...its attached to the fuel pump in the gas tank. Its not too difficult to get to. There is a trap door in the trunk area that you can open up to access it. Search around here on the forum I remember seeing a very good write up.

I had seen someone mentioning a certain amount of Ohms to determine if the unit is bad or not. I was trying to find info in the FSM but no luck there.

No worries...hope this solves your problem. My money is on the fuel sending unit which is something you can do yourself if you are careful. Just keep in mind you are working next to an open fuel tank to get it out so all the normal spark and flame precautions apply.

pull the carpet back and youll see the plate above the fuelpump/sender, be careful removing the fuel lines there may be pressure in them.

if you need to completely remove it there is a multi plug inside of the rr tire area

Edited by vagabond

So I haven't gotten a chance to check the FSU but when I took a quick glance under the rear of rig I found these loose wires.

3f7265465be126ee61bf362031eeaad9.jpg

Driver rear

164cc70ea79b0d7f772629913d9c5b7d.jpg

Passenger rear

2800a60133c93a203221a7b39acf93a2.jpg

Any ideas as to what they are for?

Edited by JamieXD

• 3 months later...

I had seen someone mentioning a certain amount of Ohms to determine if the unit is bad or not. I was trying to find info in the FSM but no luck there.

Does anyone know what the ohm resistance (empty/full range) is for the fuel sending units for the 87 - 95 Pathy's. Or where this info might be available?

I'd say he would have figured it out by now. Three months since he asked that question so I doubt he would have his Pathy sitting for 3 months doing nothing.

Totally did not even pay attention to the dates of the posts in the thread.. i still assume that its like the old days where a thread got 2 pages of posts in half a day..

Hey, I'm not saying that I had a pathfinder in the "old days," but that doesnt mean I wasnt one of the lurkers. My next door neighbor / best friend a couple of years older than me that had a blue two-door 90 back in 06, and we used this forum to do all kinds of stuff to it before safety inspection failure stole him from us

But hey!!! Yesterday was the 1 year anniversary of me owning my truck so thats something!!

Edited by CO_pathfinder

Does anyone know what the ohm resistance (empty/full range) is for the fuel sending units for the 87 - 95 Pathy's. Or where this info might be available?

Anyone have info re the ohm resistance for the stock fuel gauge?

Anyone have info re the ohm resistance for the stock fuel gauge?

I don't have a Service Manual that goes back that far and cant find it in the archive.

I can tell you on the 94 and 95 models the fuel sender unit is 1.5 ohms and the fuel gauge is 3.8-8.5 ohms full and 83.6-93.6 ohms empty.

• Like 1

I don't have a Service Manual that goes back that far and cant find it in the archive.

I can tell you on the 94 and 95 models the fuel sender unit is 1.5 ohms and the fuel gauge is 3.8-8.5 ohms full and 83.6-93.6 ohms empty.

Thanks for info.

With those numbers, they certainly made sure getting an after market fuel gauge sender is virtually non existent? Love my Pathfinder, but there's a reason to change things to a more universal parts availability when things need to be replaced or upgraded.

Given the OEM tach and gas gauge is shot, I would likely be able to replace all the gauges for slightly more than what it would be to fix the existing stuff, and have all new instruments.

• 2 weeks later...

My 88 Had this issue luckuly i replace my entire pump assembly with one from my wrecked 95 i had i sent to junkyard was new and it all works even my low gas light works again .. it was my sending unit.