noises after full fluid change, please help!

xman111

Hey guys, decided to do some fluid changes today in hopes of making my 2004 Pathy last a little longer. I went to Nissan and got 9L of Nissan DMatic ATF fluid (for tranny and tranfer case) and 5L of Penzoil 80w90 Gear plus for the front and rear diff.

I drained and replaced the auto transmission fluid with Nissan D Matic and everything was fine. I then came home and replaced the front and rear diff with the Penzoil that the parts guy told me to get. I took the truck for a drive around the block and everything sounded fine. I switched it into auto AWD and still seemed ok. When i switched it into 4 High, i started getting grinding and terrible noises. The truck actually almost came to a full stop (from just a roll) because it felt like it was binding. When i switch back into 2 wheel drive, the car drives normally. It actually makes a big clunking when switching between 4 wheel and 2 wheel as well with the switch.

I thought it either had to be filled too much (but can't go past the fill hole for obvious reasons), not enough fluid (it's at the drain hole), or the wrong fluid in the front diff. Does anyone have any input to try to help me out? I was out there all day instead of spending the beautiful day with the wife and kids, nightmare.

Do the front and rear diffs get the same gear oil even though the back is a LSD? I decided not to do the transfer case yet because I didn't want to add another variable to the mix.

Here is the stuff I put in.

https://app.box.com/s/dyxhqtp88xzf29uzf8jxwjh3pp5qcyjk

Were you testing the 4wd on pavement? This can cause binding in the system, creating the noises. The 80-90 you got looks fine and should do the job(same stuff we used at the Nissan dealer I used to work at). It should say on the bottle wether or no you need a lsd additive. I would go ahead and change the transfer case fluid and go from there.

I went up to Whistler about a month ago and did try 4x4 and it seemed to be fine. A little update.. I decided to change the transfer fluid because at this point what the hell. I don't hear those clunking noises when switching between the modes. I did have a problem getting it in and out of 2wd (indicators were blinking). That seems to have sorted itself out after a drive around the block a couple times. I am going to take it for a drive and check it out.. The binding issues seem to have settle down. Will report back..

The problem cannot come from the front or rear diffs because even if you are only in 2wd, the whole front assembly is still turning (cvs, ring gear and front driveshaft). The only place this can come from is your transfer case. When you switch from 2wd to 4wd, this is the only place where there is actually <something more> being engaged.

I would definitely have a look at the oil in the transfer case... it is the same type of oil from the transmission that goes in the atx14a tf.

S.

EDIT :** you just posted while I was writing... good for you if it is ok now..**

Edited by fleurys

thanks for the info Fleurys, really appreciate it, that type of info is invaluable.. I have a young family and trying to save us money by doing the work myself. It can be very stressful since this is our only vehicle.