Htown WD21 owner

R3GGI3

What's up everyone? I recently purchased a 1990 wd21 4x4 manual and I love it. I don't know to much about cars other than changing the belts, oil, and a couple of other parts. When I bought the rig I knew it had some leaks and some rust spots. I have had the motor looked at and have been told that the motor is good..

The exhaust system has some holes and will have to replaced to pass inspection. I really want to fix her up and put a 3" lift but I'm worried about the leaks going on and the rust on the body. The frame seems to be fine but the body has some bad spots. I would go as far as getting it repaired and painted but I don't want to waste money if it won't hold up. I would even put the lift in first and fix the leaks later if I knew it would be alright. I'm pretty sure I have a main seal leak, but there is a lot of oil on the transmission. I also have a leak up front on on the bottom right by the skid plate that I'm not to sure where that's coming from. The area where the oil filter goes is pretty bad to so I'm thinking it's coming from there.

Let me know your thoughts. What would be your process of you could get a lift, repair rust and paint, and fix the leaks? Would that be to expensive and it would make since to get something in better shape.? Check out the pics.8084b56a6064b7834a150092cd8b6f22.jpgfed5b5aa3d58b94d29c8d87f7093e6f7.jpgfe0aa6e626374d4bdbdcf9c438ca0051.jpg750732a851642d8630fe8651453f9612.jpg9d42012f7b0cec18f58ef1919f74f3c0.jpghttp://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/21/ed294f3fa393a9cbac120acd0433a082.jpg778107b4fb1b877521d5b53879d70588.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:welcome:

I recently had my main rear seal replaced, and had a great conversation with my new mechanic on this exact topic.

From what he said, the design of the engine and tranny means that oil collects exactly where you're seeing it. It can also come from leaking valve cover gaskets, and spilled oil during an oil change, in addition to the main seal.

There's lots of good info in the garage section. And lots of folks with lots of knowledge hang around here, too.

(Sorry, I can't weigh in on the rust.)

Thanks Xterra, I'm about to change the valve cover gaskets so hopefully that helps out. I found a lot of oil dripping on the from the driver side and I figured that could be one of the culprits.

Hey Reggie, nice to meet you. Your truck looks good, I like the two tone paint scheme. I don't really have any answers for you on the exhaust or rust stuff, I don't know anything about body work and I have to go to the exhaust guy to get any work done. However, here lately I have been mulling over the idea of trying to a little of my own "cut and splice" work with a saw and blow torch and some rods. I'm here in Houston as well out in Webster / Clear lake area and we've got another guy down in Dickenson. Nice to have a local guy come on board, not many of us around here.

Nice looking rig!

The thing to worry about with rust is the frame, even if it looks alright. My dad looked at mine before buying it and didn't see rust where he expected it; it's only rotted above the rear axle (the highest point in the frame, go figure that one out) and a bit behind that. Tap it in that area with a hammer, if it makes a dull sound you've got rot.

They also like to rust in the driver's floor (above a part of the exhaust that likes to leak) and under the rear seat.

If the frame's sound, I'd say clean up the body rust and then look for the leaks. If the rate of oil loss is fairly low, it can probably wait a while.

Welcome, and as far as I know you are the third person to have that paint scheme. Mine started out just like that. Here is how she looks now

308jdzc.jpg

We must be brothers from another mother..lol. Your rig looks good glad to know there is more of us out there.

Hey Reggie, nice to meet you. Your truck looks good, I like the two tone paint scheme. I don't really have any answers for you on the exhaust or rust stuff, I don't know anything about body work and I have to go to the exhaust guy to get any work done. However, here lately I have been mulling over the idea of trying to a little of my own "cut and splice" work with a saw and blow torch and some rods. I'm here in Houston as well out in Webster / Clear lake area and we've got another guy down in Dickenson. Nice to have a local guy come on board, not many of us around here.

I've thought about attempting the rust hole patches myself. It doesn't seem that tough, but like every job you attempt. You must have the right tools. I guess my tool set will grow with my wd21.

I live in the Nassau Bay area so you might see me cruising around.

Nice looking rig!

The thing to worry about with rust is the frame, even if it looks alright. My dad looked at mine before buying it and didn't see rust where he expected it; it's only rotted above the rear axle (the highest point in the frame, go figure that one out) and a bit behind that. Tap it in that area with a hammer, if it makes a dull sound you've got rot.

They also like to rust in the driver's floor (above a part of the exhaust that likes to leak) and under the rear seat.

If the frame's sound, I'd say clean up the body rust and then look for the leaks. If the rate of oil loss is fairly low, it can probably wait a while.

Thanks for the feedback. I found some rust under the back seat like you said. I'm defiantly going to do that hammer test . The oil loss is low so I will probably hold off.

:welcome:

I recently had my main rear seal replaced, and had a great conversation with my new mechanic on this exact topic.

From what he said, the design of the engine and tranny means that oil collects exactly where you're seeing it. It can also come from leaking valve cover gaskets, and spilled oil during an oil change, in addition to the main seal.

There's lots of good info in the garage section. And lots of folks with lots of knowledge hang around here, too.

(Sorry, I can't weigh in on the rust.)

How much did they charge you for the rear main seal?

How much did they charge you for the rear main seal?

Just under $1000 for the main seal and oil pressure switch, which was less than 1/2 of what the dealership was quoting.