Transmission removal/install tips please..

Eamon

HI guys,

need to revamp my clutch this week and am after any tips/possible snags I might run into when removing a 1990 manual tranny?

Have changed one clutch before, many years ago on a subaru Leone so have a vague idea what im in for.

Is it necessary to remove torsion bars?

Do any engine parts need to be removed to access the top bell housing bolts? (looks pritty tight in there..)

Cheers,

Eamon

After you drop the exhaust it makes some room to get at the bolts. You may need a long extension to get at a couple bolts. You can put a couple extensions together, but that will cause some deflection and may not work very well.

I assume a 95 is similar to the 90? 4x4 or 4x2? On a 4x2 you should be able to squeeze out the cross member around he torsion bars without removing them. 4x4 I'm not sure, I have not done my clutch yet. I did a clutch on a 4x2 and I didn't have to remove the torsion bars, it was a 95.

The transmission is heavy, very heavy. Have a buddy help.

Edited by RF600

On the 4x4 , as far as i know, you have to remove the torsion bars. This let's you drop the torsion bar crossmember and gives you room to slide the transmission and transfer case backwards. The manual is a lot lighter than the auto, but you have to pull it back a lot further to get the input shaft clear of the clutch assembly. And yes. Either trans is bloody heavy. Be careful.

If 4x4 and just doing the clutch you don't need to remove the t-bars fully. you can just unbolt the crossmember and pull it down a bit so the tcase can clear. All you really need to do is slide the trans back far enough.

great cheers guys. will try just lowering the crossbar first. see how it goes. would it be worth draining the trans fluid? not how much that would help the weight issues.. also when I jacked up the front today (both wheels up) i noticed the steering system is really stiff. like It takes quite a bit of effort to pivot the wheels by hand (not using steering wheel). on all the other cars Ive owned the steering system has been quite loose and free when jacked up. is this normal on a 4x4?

I've been told you can drop the transfer case and then pull the tranny back to give you plenty of room without touching the torsion bars. Look for hidden bolt, such as behind the starter. Frankly, its not a fun pull....Good luck.

Everyone that gave advice, the OP has the diesel motor. Are you sure that the tranny is the same as it is for the gas V6? Just trying to make sure we don't give him misinformation...

Thanks.

B