New member from San Antonio, TX! :D

JamieXD

Hello all!

My name is Jamie. I just recently scooped up a 1989 Pathy XE 4x4, to use mainly off road because I wanted a cheaper & fun lil rig that I wouldn't have to worry about too much if it broke down. I also own a 2010 Tacoma TRD Offroad 4x4, but since I'm still paying on it I figured this was a smart choice haha.

I'm 23 & a Diesel Technician @ Holt CAT. I used to be an Auto Tech, then transitioned to Heavy Equipment (dozers, graders, dump trucks, back hoes, skid steers, excavators, etc) Now I work on just engines, all the way from C4.4's to 3512s! I've been turning wrenches since I was 16, so i'm no stranger when it comes to digging into projects :D

My goal for the Pathy is to restore it to being road worthy & capable off road. I've done a lil research & have found this forum pretty helpful! This will be a slow process for me, but I'm totally excited to see the finished product.

These are the known issues so far.

-Surging Idle. I've removed the AIV components & plan on capping off the lines going to the header/exhaust. Haven't gotten a chance to clean the throttle body components yet.

-4H & 4L aren't engaging. It seems really easy for the lever to go from 2H to 4H, but the engagement of 4H seems to be spot on. Until i'm able to jack all 4 wheels off the ground I'm suspecting the the Auto locking hubs are the culprit. I do plan on picking up Manual locking hubs in the near future though.

-Oil leaks & possible blown rear main seal. I do plan on pulling to engine to do a complete rebuild, but I'd like to at least get it running smoothly first.

Besides what i've mentioned above, it seems to be a pretty solid rig! Anyways, Enough talking!! Here's some pics!

29gk3dh.jpg

dwz4if.jpg

14llxye.jpg

zajpx.jpg

My Tacoma

2ag25u8.jpg

2i887pu.jpg

I forgot to add this video of my Tacoma!! Now you can see why I needed an alternative rig hahaha. P.S the tires are low on tread hence high revs & bouncing the rev limiter....Also forgot to turn on the E-locker in the mud pit...XD

Welcome! Looks like a good start you have there...

If you are interested (it is a little more work) it would be nice to convert it to the MPFI system of the 1990-1995 and put a VG33 from a 1996-2000 in it (you can even build a VG34). I only mention it because it doesn't sound like you need to deal with smog laws, but just don't cut the cat off... :rolleyes:

As for the shifting issue, inspect the linkage for the transfer. It can be accessed without too much trouble from the drivers side.

B

I've actually been contemplating the idea of swapping to a VG30E. I just need to do more research. I'm trying to keep things relatively cheap & basic.

My Goals are

-Solid Engine/Trans/Transfer case

-Functional Gauge cluster

-Check/replace all suspension bushings

-1.5-2" suspension lift

-15x8 or 15x9 wheels

-31x10.5x15 tires

-Manual locking hubs

-Front/Rear lockers

-Replace front fenders

-Fabricate or buy custom front/rear bumpers

-Fabricate or buy a roof rack.

I say I want this only for a mud toy, but long term I'd like to set this up like an Expedition style rig. I'd really love to go exploring across the state and elsewhere :)

To swap to the VG30E, a donor vehicle is ideal, and what I was getting at, a VG33 runs just fine with all the VG30E components, other than a crank pulley and an alterntor bracket or something. Nothing wrong with a VG30 either, but if you are already swapping, why not get a little more displacement/power? :shrug:

I agree with your direction of build, I've set mine up expedition style as well with stock VG30E, tranny temp gauge and filter, headers/custom exhaust, manual hubs, 31" tires, 15x8" wheels, rear LSD, front ARB bumper w/winch, 2" body lift, 2" suspension lift, Sway Away bars, Superlift UCAs, oil filter relocator, etc. I still need to have a rear bumper made and install the Xterra roof rack, rock sliders, power inverter, volt meter and oil pressure A pillar pod, Sway Away torsion bars, dual battery and a few other goodies I have laying around. These Pathfinders are really reliable, if just a little small, and good for expeditioning...

I'm looking forward to see what you do with yours! :aok:

016.jpg

B

Hmm you do have a valid point about the VG33, but I'll just have to see what I can get my hands on :D

You're rig looks like it's coming along great! Clean & simple :)

I think so, IIRC there was a member within the last few months that got one for his build. He does have a website that you can go to, that might have the info.

Sorry, I don't know it off hand but just search here for VG33 swap and it should be easy to find.

Hmm you do have a valid point about the VG33, but I'll just have to see what I can get my hands on :D

You're rig looks like it's coming along great! Clean & simple :)

Yep, that is how it usually works, but I just thought I'd throw it out there...

Thanks! It'll go faster once I get back to work on it... :tongue:

B