New and excited R50 owner (W/?)

alyoung

Hello all. So the wife got me an 2001.0 LE for my b-day in october 100K one owner florida car no road salt here but he PO was a golfer and it was full of sand and i'm assuming the mild surface rust was from salt water from around the beaches and such but besides that and the fact that every piece of plastic i touched on the interior was dry and brittle and disintegrated when touching shes pretty clean, anyway so living in brooklyn all our lives i guess she noticed how excited i got about dirt roads and mud when we moves to FL. (then a coworker introduced me to "Redneck Yacht Club") and she saw me light up :jig:.. I've been lurking around and searching every forum i could find and wow i've gotten so much useful and helpful info. already upgraded the ignition coils, and the radio. other than that its bone stock. i want to change out the suspension but i want to do as little on car wrenching as possible, what i mean by that is i want to have everything done and ready and just have to switch out old for new. im trynna put together a list. so far what i know i'm getting is new tires want to keep stock wheels so (size??? help please) struts, shocks, and springs and spacers from 4x4 design, locking hubs, new tie rods, and bushings as needed. as for the struts i want to put together a "quick strut" kind of deal but besides the struts, springs, mounts/bushings/boots. what else would i need to accomplish that? lets say i get something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/351075546956?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT. and springs ( which ones???) what's left to get for to have the struts ready to just swap in? as for the small lift i wanna give it the spacers from 4x4 design seems to be enough to get me like 2" right, with some camber bolts and the locking hubs should i need anything else? Sorry for just going on and on. thank you. any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

If you are going to get your lift from spacers, you don't really need to buy new springs. But with that cost savings comes the 'cost' of not having the quick swap you are after.

You could just buy inexpensive generic replacement springs.

As for tires...you can do without wheel spacers if you limit your new ties to 31". That size clears the strut. If you wanted bigger, you would probably have interference problems even with the spacers since your lift won't be enough to avoid your fender under full compression, I would guess.

You may not need camber bolts either. After the swap I would take it in for an alignment and let them figure it out.

And you're done. ;)

thanks. yeah i was thinking of maybe keeping the springs but with them most likely being 14 years old i want to change them. i was considering just getting some MOOG springs. and so anything bigger than 31" and even with the two inch spacers i won't clear the fender? good to know.. are there any other parts associated with the spring strut assembly that i'm gonna need?

If you go bigger than 31" the tire won't clear the strut assembly, just under the spring. Look at the top inside of the front tire. Not much room there.

OK, just wanted you to know that spacers or springs won't give you more room for bigger tires unless you change rim offset or add wheel spacers and then you might have fender problems. If you do a quick "search" I'm sure you will find more opinions than you want about suspension choices.

Oh, and welcome to the club!

Edited by kdj

Go to the courtesy Nissan parts page, look up the diagram. You need virtually everything there that looks like it goes to the strut, and it costs about 300.00. I just went down this road and am opting to remove the struts and take them to a repair shop to have new springs and struts mounted using the existing components except for the strut top and bearing, those will be new.

Off the top of my head you will need: strut top, bearing, upper seat,lower seat, bump stop, dust boot, another seat of some sort, and quite a few nuts. It adds up faster than expected.