Motor flush

jj big shoe

I'm not sure if I should use something to flush the engine on my next oil change ('87 V6 with 189K miles). It's been pretty well maintained by me as well as the previous owner, but I was wondering if flushing the engine would do more harm than good given the mileage. If it wouldn't hurt, what's a good tried and true product someone could recommend?

It may start leaking more if you flush it...I've seen that happen to many a car, actually. *shrug* If it doesn't leak any to begin with, you'll probably be safe doing it, but it's usually not necessary. You can just add a half quart to a full quart of tranny fluid to the oil before changing it, run it a bit to circulate the fluid and that'll do the trick just as well as any specialty flush additive.

just don't dump a quart of Coleman Fuel in it. Although it's great for cleaning parts and breaking down the gunk, things get quite interesting when you fire-up the engine.... literally.

and no, it wasn't me who did it.... it was a cousin of mine from the shallow end of the gene pool.

You can also use Marvel Mystery Oil. Worked wonders for my truck when I had no oil pressure because of so much carbon build-up. If I remember, you replace a quart of oil with a quart of MMO.

I also vote no-flush. At this point in your Pathy's life, things have seated themselves in their way and some of that gunk you're trying to get rid of just might be sealing a leaky gasket or something. Its one of those "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" type scenarios. By the way, I'm also curious about the ATF method 88 mentioned. What's the reasoning for this? Never heard of that before.

if you dont change your oil regularly, oil likes to cake and bake up in the lifter valleys and heads. as for me, ive run atf in the old mans 92 crown vickie for a day or 2 before changing the oil after 10000 or so miles.. to have seen the chunks that came out of the oil pan. finally sold that car with bad rings and some piston slap after 300k miles on the orig engine. fords only good product.

So, let me get this straight, mzxtreme... you're a Ford fan that roots for a guy that drives Chevy's ? :crazy:

Rusty wasn't really competetive and i also like #20.. 24 and 20 and 12 and 14 are all home (state) boys... :P who cares what they drive... there are no nissans in there....

Rusty finished 10th ~ if that's not competitive, I don't know what is. He & Martin were running 7th & 8th right up 'til the end. Anybody in the top ten had a chance giving Daytona's notorious last lap mishaps. So, how do you feel about the truck series now that Toyota's in it ? Do you consider Darrell Waltrip a "traitor" for doing their commercials ? :shrug:

As far as Gordon being one of the "home state boys", I guess moving from California to take advantage of younger starting ages doesn't fall into the equation for you. I suggest you study your NASCAR driver history a little more... -study-

Gordon's a very talented driver, doesn't mean I have to like him. I can appreciate talent in any sport ~ take Muhammed Ali, for example. Fantastic boxer, no doubt. But the best fight I ever saw him in was when Ken Norton broke his jaw... no interview with him after the fight ~ I loved it. :X

Some people you just "love to hate", you say potato... -argue-

Edited by hardwaretoad

Actually, Rusty might've finished better than he did if not for the idiocy of Jimmy Johnson & Tony Stewart ~ they got into each other right at the end forcing him to drop a couple of places... see the pic above, taken just as things started to happen. Darn near took Martin out, too. There's 13 cars stacked in that pic ~ just racin'...

Edited by hardwaretoad