Runs rough, but better when weather is really cold

maaakaaa

My 1994 is running kinda rough. Jerky acceleration, slows on even mild hills, etc. Strangely when the weather gets down around 0 degrees F it seems to run noticeably better. (The heater is pretty inadequate then, though!). Any ideas on what might cause this?

My 1994 is running kinda rough. Jerky acceleration, slows on even mild hills, etc. Strangely when the weather gets down around 0 degrees F it seems to run noticeably better. (The heater is pretty inadequate then, though!). Any ideas on what might cause this?

I'm wondering if it might not be the coolant temp sensor because it runs better when the heater isn't blowing warm.

The good news is that the FSM that is downloadable from the pinned thread in the Garage section has a good diagnostics section with all the sensor output values and how to check them. You are probably going to have to do a little testing to determine the cause.

B

Thanks for the input. My check engine light had been on intermittently, then all the time, and now currently is off. I will see if I can see what codes have shown up.

I checked the codes last night. I had a 33 (heated oxygen sensor) and 51 (injector circuit). After I cleared the codes, the CEL came on again, so I ran codes this morning and only got the 33 code. I guess it's time to get an O2 sensor. I notice a code 53 for oxygen sensor. What is the difference between 33 and 51? Also, any advice on what might cause the 51 code and how to deal with it?

Thanks!

Always fix the first thing first. Sometimes a failing component can directly affect another (most common is... runs like crap due to O2 sensor and triggers knock sensor to throw a code)

I ordered an O2 sensor from Rock Auto yesterday (along with a distributor cap and rotor while I was making an order). I will see what that does when it arrives...and the weather warms up a little for more pleasant wrenching.