2008 Pathfinder/Code P0455

brc19761

The service engine soon light came on yesterday. First time this is ever happened. Hooked my ob2 scanner up and code came back P0455. I read where this can be as simple as a loose gas cap to a leaky vent valve. People were saying this is a very common code for pathfinders.

Is there any steps I can take to narrow down the problem?

Thanks,

brc

The p0455 code is for a large evap leak, usually tht means the gas cap is loose, or put on wrong. I have seen lots of people get the little strap that holds it to the body, under it and create a leak. If you dont find anything there, check for any hoses disconnected in the engine bay, as well as under the body. Cracks can sometimes form on the rubber hoses and create a leak as well. If you cant see anything and the light wont go out after driving serval "drive cycles" then a shop/dealer should be able to close th system and hook up a smoke machine to find the leak.

Thanks for the reply. I erased the code with the ob2 scanner. Drove it around all day one day. I went to put it up in the garage and soon as I started it up the service engine soon light came back on. I cleaned the gasket that goes around the gas cap. I still haven't had a chance with the holidays and such to look underneath or in the engine compartment. I don't see any thing on the garage concrete floor that is leaking where it sits.

Think a new gas cap and erasing the code and see if it comes back on would be a good idea? When it comes to getting a new gas cap does it have to be from a Nissan dealer or will one at a local parts store work?

Thanks for the advice and information.

brc

I replaced the gas cap with a new one, but I didn't get one from the Nissan dealer. I drove it all around town yesterday in all the heavy holiday traffic. The light did not come back on. I am going to drive it around a little more today. If the light does not come back on today I will feel more comfortable taking it on long distance trips.

Thanks for the reply,

brc

Yesterday I drove the Pathfinder about seven miles up the road and the service engine soon light came on again. I came back home hooked up the scanner and it came back same code P0455. Drove it all day the day before with the new gas cap and no engine light. Drove it just a few miles the second day and the light came on. I bought the new cap from Autozone. I bought it specifically for the vehicle it wasn't on I bought off the rack.

Should I try a new cap from my local Nissan dealer? I really have not had the amount of time to correctly follow all lines underneath the Pathfinder and in the engine bay. I just quickly looked under the truck and in the engine bay. What specific lines should I look for under the truck and in the engine? What other steps should I take? Think it could still be the gas cap?

Thanks,

brc

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Pathfinder/2008_Pathfinder/ec.pdf

Page 736(if it doesn't take you there). Pages 46, 47 and 48 give a picture of the system components.

Anyway, that will give you a breakdown of how to check the system. I was just thinking, I wonder if you had the spark plugs replaced recently? The reason I ask is that you have to remove some of the evap components onthe upper intake to gain access to the spark plugs. As far as the hoses go, the run from your engine, under your vehicle back to the evap canister and filler tube. If there are no obvious hose issues, there may be a valve stuck (vent contol valve) by forgien debris(ice, mud, insects, ect). There is a possibility your ecm could also need to be reprogrammed(logic parameters habve have been changed at some point).

Edited by 5523Pathfinder

Thanks for the info. I will check it all out today. Had bad weather come through yesterday and didn't get a chance to do anything. Thanks for posting the exact pages in the fsm. I haven't changed spark plugs.

Thanks again,

brc

Edited by brc19761

• 1 month later...

Factory gas caps rarely go bad. You have a gross evap leak. Check the evap system for any leaks. Nissan ses lights have a two trip system. The ecm has to see the failure in two key cycles for the light to come on. You will get a code on the first trip but no light.

• 5 months later...

I have been chasing a po456 "small evap" leak for a little while. Just hit 60k and I'm over it. Gunna buy the evap canister vapor vent solenoid from rockauto and if that doesn't work, I suppose I'll have to keep throwing money at the evap system until it stops. SES light driving me crazy. Comes on between 3/4 & 1/2 tank usually stays on for a little while then goes out for a short while and then throws the light after a fuel up before but before 1/2 tank.