Anyone running a steering stabilizer? Thoughts?

Dma251

I recently did a 75 mile forest-road trip to a local lookout tower. I noticed a significant amount of feedback in the steeringwheel on the potholes. Average speed was about 30 mph.

When I got home I realized that my 91 SE didn't have a steering stabilizer. It's probably due for some front end parts refreshing, like the tie-rod ends and balljoints, with 200K on it.

What are you expert's thoughts on the subject?

I'm thinking of replacing all the front end parts, and running it to decide if a stabilizer is necessary....

I'd say it would help & I want to run one myself after I redo my steering. There are several weak likscto the current steering that cause a lot of "bump steer" the two major issues seem to be the idler arm flexing & the dog-bone style center link. As for the idler arm, a $30 brace from 4x4parts.com will correct this, as for the center link, you can replace it with a Grassroots brand for about $250, or do what I am & replace all steering components (I'm sure everything is due yo be replaced anyway) with a 2wd setup. All the angles for the 2wd setup are much better & the reviews I've seen is that you eliminate all bumpsteer issues, all for about the same price as the grassroots link alone. There are a few write-ups on both if you search the forums.

I have ran/run a steering stabilizer for a long time. When I had my OE centerlink, I think it helped extend its life and hide some issues. I replaced the centerlink with a Grassroots version and I love it. Steering is tight and havent had any issues with alingment. IMO, the 2wd steering setup is a bit unprooven for off road durability and how it holds up over time. I have over 240k on my rig and put the GR centerlink on around 160k. I daily drive and wheel my rig and know the system works. For the record, I also have the Idler arm brace from 4x4parts and moog greaseable inner and outer tie rods(which are thicker than OE).

I've got about 15k on my 2wd setup and I wheel all the time. Run 33x12.5 tires and 2.5" torsion crank. My girls truck also runs the 2wd setup with moog problem solver joints and she has over 30k on her setup since her truck is her daily driver and it does some light wheeling as well. Bump steer is definitely reduced over stock and we have had nothing but increased life span of the joints. Works for me!

P.s. I run an oem steering stabilizer with the 2wd setup as well (I welded on the center link damper mount to the proper location) and my steering is just great, even with lift and big tires. No worn out joints or bent components to speak of yet. The inner tie rods are 2 mm thicker at the threads alone, and more so throughout the rest of the arm, so the arms are very strong. My 2c

Edited by Nefarious

I have a rancho steering stabilizer and in my opinion it has been a great pleasure to drive with more than when I didn't have one. Worth it to run it IMO.

Agreed.

If you wheel your truck, it is well worth it.

I have the aftermarket mount one. It uses longer bolts for the idler arm on one side and clamps to the CL with 2 u bolts. I have a stock one with the factory pin laying around somewhere. It probably works the same .

Yeah i use the stock frame pin with a Monroe shock. I personally notice a difference with 33s in certain situations. Just a generally more solid feel to the steering. Without sounding vague, it makes the front end feel a little 'bigger' like a half ton. Just my interpretation.

I've just started running one of the rancho rs5000 steering stabilizer after rebuilding the steering and suspension. I did notice a much better feel when I go off road and on the street.

My Rancho stabilizer arrived today so now just got to get around to installing it

if you go to members rides and look for my 95 nissan pathfinder, you will find a bunch of pictures of my 95 with the stabilizer in there.

And nice picks you have there, thanks