Automagic Hubs

daczone

Are there any rebuild kits for these? It appears that mine are wore out, stuck or simply not working.

Also my RD has a Limited Slip sticker on it, but with 285K on the it, I'm doubtful that still works. Any test I can there short of dropping the clutch?

I think I've damn near wrenched on or replace every part of this Pathfinder.

The old school way of checking for LSD was to chock the front wheels, put the trans in neutral, and lift the rear tires off the ground. When you spin one of the rear wheels, an open diff will spin the other tire in the opposite direction,and a limited slip will spin the other tire in the same direction (and also turn the drive shaft). A real world test might be going to a sandy or gravely area and punch it and see what the rear does - one wheel spinning or two.

^this, and a change of fluid, specifically for LSD, might help things if it has been a while.

Try removing the hubs, disassembing them (one at a time so you have an assembly reference), checking for obvious damage, reassembling with very light grease coating and trying it again.

Also, download a copy of the 1994 FSM from the pinned thread in the garage section to get an expladed view of the assembly.

B

Ah yes the fluids... I need to do that for sure including my transmission. Good tip on the disassembly. I will definitely attempt that.

I didn't really want to do manual locking hubs, but will if I need to.

I took one of my auto hubs apart last winter, cleaned and greased it, checked the clutch thickness vs the FSM spec (and found it was worn far past spec), reassembled with the old parts, and it made it worse. Binding up, coming unlocked while driving through town in 2x and making horrible ratcheting noises like the wheel was gonna fall off, fun stuff. Upgraded to manual hubs and haven't regretted it one bit. Knowing I can shift to 4x4 on the fly without having to think over my whole drive and try to remember whether any of it was done in reverse was totally worth the hassle of having to click the hubs on and off from time to time. Then there's the ability to engage the 4x in reverse. You don't think you need it until you unexpectedly run out of traction with the front end up against something.

IIRC I found a rebuild kit somewhere online and discovered it wasn't that far from the manual hubs in price.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone rebuild their autohubs?

I know there is a thread here, but I wanted to check with someone that has done it.

Looks like it's about $70 + $26 shipping for new clutches, thrust washers and spring.

I took mine apart and it was a mess of grease, With 285k on my Pathfinder I'm sure things are worn out.

I'd prefer to have autohubs over manual locking.

Edited by RedPath88
Merged from "Auto Hubs" - One thread is enough

Update:

I took both sides apart yesterday and couldn't really see any signs of wear. I cleaned everything, reinstalled and still no go, 4WD just isn't working.

So I just bought a set of Warn manual hubs. I wanted to go with the cheaper set, but didn't like the feedback of folks breaking them because of the plastic parts. So I paid a bit more for the Warn units.

Just a new set of rubber on this thing and I think I will be done... Or am I never done?

• Like 1

I was surprised when I had mine apart at how minty fresh they looked (apart from the black grease). With the noises they were making, I thought for sure I'd find some damage. It wasn't until I measured the clutch thickness against the FSM that I saw how shot they were.

And no, there is no done, there's just better. :lol:

• Like 1

The clutch thickness is the only thing you need to look at, unless there is obviously broken parts. I still have my auto hubs and they have not given me any issues. They are real nice here in the winter to not have to keep the front end spinning all the time.

You might be money a head by going with manual hubs. This has not been proven but you might gain a small mpg gain. With manual hubs the front end is disengaged and not turning. One advantage is you are either locked or not.

My former 87 hardbody had the automatic hubs, I had that truck from day one for 14 years, beat the hell out of it and went 4 wheeling multiple times per week, never had any issues with the automatic hubs.

Has anyone ever put the r50 hubs on a wd21? I'm going this route hopefully today.

The R50s have drive flanges bolted together, not hubs. I think they should install without issue on a WD21 and would be the strongest way to go. The down side is that you have no selectivity and the front CVs would be turning all the time, hurting power and mileage. The only time I can think it would be a good idea is if the WD21 is a dedicated wheeler and/or trailer queen.

B

What are you thinking for "Rear Traction Device"?

Mine's got the factory LSD but doesn't seem to be working. I priced new clutches and while they are reasonable, it looks like a huge job.

Got my Warn hubs today... Easy enough to install. Instructions were crap. Only thing I was surprised with was that the stock Lego wheels hole needed to be made slightly larger.

IMG_0193%20(Custom).JPG

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Got my Warn hubs today... Easy enough to install. Instructions were crap. Only thing I was surprised with was that the stock Lego wheels hole needed to be made slightly larger.

IMG_0193%20(Custom).JPG

I've got my Warns coming today and was curious is it just the center cap you had to enlarge or the wheel itself?