Snorkel

ebayfish

I Don't know what kind of crack I'm smoking, or why the 15 year old kid inside me got tempted to order a snorkel today... I mean its only $200....a quarter of what I originally paid for my pathfinder...or 1/20 of what I've put into it, lol. I'm sure I'll never forge water higher than my intake, besides I like rocks not water/mud. Besides for cutting holes in your fender & having to explain to everybody what the goofy plastic thing on the driver pillar is, are there any major pros or con's for running a snorkel? Does it install into a stock airbox?

I haven't ordered it, but something like this http://www.amazon.com/Nissan-Pathfinder-Systems-Snorkel-Snorkeling/dp/B00E4J5WPG. I figured it would act like a true cold air, maybe even a ram air intake. I don't know if much would be gained from the air traveling up, down, sideways, backwards, slightly to the left & finally into the engine. The coefficient of friction may actually rob more than gained from the positive pressure of forward momentum.

Edited by ebayfish

I haven't ordered it, but something like this http://www.amazon.com/Nissan-Pathfinder-Systems-Snorkel-Snorkeling/dp/B00E4J5WPG. I figured it would act like a true cold air, maybe even a ram air intake. I don't know if much would be gained from the air traveling up, down, sideways, backwards, slightly to the left & finally into the engine. The coefficient of friction may actually rob more than gained from the positive pressure of forward momentum.

Well, if you think about it, the factory setup is like that or worse. At least it's scooping the air from above the hoodline where air is already much smoother and less turbulent than in front of the grille(or as it passes through the opening to the airbox). What should go hand in hand with a snorkel is, relocating your ECU. If your were ever to ford some water, it don't take much to get in under the passenger seat and wipe it out.

There are a few threads on snorkels here, talking about the different types, home made ones, diameters, flow, etc. The general concensus is that is doesn't hurt power, it is true cold air intake and can have a tiny bit of ram affect at speed. Still worth reading up on though, not all snorkels are equal.

B