Daytime running lights module

flyboy56

Had an issue with my front right hi-beam light not working. After 2 new bulbs, I heard of the DTRL module being faulty (loose circuits?).

Looking for a module now - not looking to pay $285 on a new one from dealer. Salvage yards are being sought after. My issue is intermittent. UGH.

Do you need DRLs? I imagine there's a mod you can do to have your fogs running when the vehicle's on, lots of Xterra guys do a version of this. At worst you could always pop in some of those Phillips DRLs for a very current (but potentially rice) look.

Might not be your problem here, but worth looking at...a long while ago, I disassembled a headlight control module for an Infiniti I30 only to discover that a couple solder points had broken from the circuit board. It was also causing an intermittent issue. Had it fixed in about 5 minutes with some fresh solder work on all the contact points.

• Like 1

Might not be your problem here, but worth looking at...a long while ago, I disassembled a headlight control module for an Infiniti I30 only to discover that a couple solder points had broken from the circuit board. It was also causing an intermittent issue. Had it fixed in about 5 minutes with some fresh solder work on all the contact points.

How exactly do you get the control module apart? I didn't see a split line on mine this summer when I rewired it.

How exactly do you get the control module apart? I didn't see a split line on mine this summer when I rewired it.

Probably comparing apples to oranges here; I30 vs Pathfinder, headlights vs DRL, etc. It's been about a decade since I did that re-work, so some of the details are lost in years of beers. But lighting modules aren't very complex. Normally a wiring diagram (FSM) and multi-meter is all that's necessary to troubleshoot. But I think in your case, some of the older modules (if one) might be non-servicable and fully-sealed. The one I worked on came apart easily; I just don't remember if I had to remove if from the vehicle, but I think I did.

If you're talking about headlights, I wouldn't think there'd be a lighting module unless the vehicle has projection/gas bulbs, or auto-headlights (which may include the DRL logic). It's usually just power to the headlight switch/stalk, fed to the relays, and to the headlights.

I'm certain it varies by year and model, though. I've not looked up anything specifically for a Pathfinder, but I can if you'd like. I'll be crawling around the truck (mine's a 2004) so I'll see what exists since the OP has the same year. Yours is a 1990?

It's a Canadian thing,when you start the vehicle the headlights come on in a low power mode. You could try CDN tire there is an aftermarket kit for vehicles imported from the US, it thought was pretty cheap.

Gotcha. Probably not much different here, but can't say I've ever paid attention to it. Headlights on the other hand...pretty important, I hear.