Timing belt replacement -98 Path

IchWarriorMkII

Carefull, if you stress it to much you could end up braking the tab on the oil pump!

And even if you get that bolt out, you will still have to remove the pulley to get the timing cover off.

I suggest you thoroughly read the HowTo that was written by 5523Pathfinder as part of his work on a 99 (pics from that job too)

How to change your timing belt!

• Like 1

There are tons of info on the timing belt in this forum.

If the crank pulley is stuck, and you can't get it out, but a harmonic balancer puller, if that doesn't work, get a jaw puller. Make sure you don't bugger up the crank bolt threads with the puller, put a socket or something in front of it.

Be very careful with removing the timing cover bolts around the oil pump area, I broke two mounting points and had to improvize to keep it from hitting the balancer.

But as others have posted, check the old threads posted around here, plenty of info for every situation.

-Kyle

• 2 weeks later...

Just did this on my 98 in the spring. Yea, the pulley needs to come off. Just take your time, double check everything as you are putting it back together and everything will be fine.

Go Go Gadget balancer puller, gotta pull it. If you end up going with a 3 jaw, u may as well buy a new balancer. But the puller should work just fine. put the crank bolt back in and thread it in several threads to anchor on that with the puller. pretty straight forward.

Pat

FSM for the win. Generally when the marks on the cams are lined up with the little metal dimples of the rear timing cover, "the one behind the cam sprokets" and the mark on the crank sprocket is 5 o'clockish your there. But search around for some info, because as far as i can tell most folks just count teeth from the crank sprocket mark to the driver side cam and then the distance in teeth from the driver cam mark to the passenger cam mark. I would tell you what the teeth count is supposed to be but i would only be "close or 99 percent sure" so i dont want to risk it. But tons of information out there on it. Just take your time, double and triple check while your in there.

Pat

• Like 1

Not sure if it applies to all, but on my lower timing belt cover there's a marking that is for the dimple on the crank sprocket. Of course you kinda have to eyeball it since you need to have it off. Also I think it's 43 teeth from the right cam sprocket dimple to the crank dimple.