Suspension upgrades

604Allstar

Hi,

The dreaded "death wobble" has finally showed up on my 2001 QX4 so I thought I would take this opportunity to upgrades some of the other suspension parts at the same time as there is 237km on it.

I work in sales and this is my daily driver but I do go hunting take the QX4 on unmaintained mountain logging roads that can get pretty adventures. Currently the front end noise dives pretty badly with a little tap of the brake and the vehicle bottoms out pretty easily especially when I have it loaded up with hunting gear. Since the vehicle is my daily driver I don't want to go too aggressive with anything so I was wondering what people thought of the setup below.

-Front Struts
KYB GR-2/Excel G

-Rear Shocks
Bilstein 5100

-Front Springs
OME HD Springs

- Rear Springs
OME MD Springs

-OEM strut mounts and bearings

-Upper and Lower Trailing Arm
4x4parts - http://www.4x4parts.com/i-18981216-rear ... -arms.html
(Plus new bolts)

- New Bump stops.

I went with HD springs in the front and MD springs in the back to give the truck a level stance but I am concerned about "topping out" the front struts. I don't plan on changing the bumper ever or adding a winch. I do have the OEM grill guard but im guessing that's only 60-75 lbs, so still well below the 110-220lbs recommended rating of the HD springs. Would I be better of getting MD springs all around and then getting a spacer for the front?

what are peoples opinion of AC Springs vs OME?

Please pass along any feedback, Suggestion or anything that I have left out that I should also do.

Cheers

I'd say you have a good package picked out for your intended use .

I run the same struts and shocks but with the AC 2" coils and an AC 1" front spacer , it's a pretty stiff combo if the truck will be driven a lot each day .

The OME coils , from what I've seen others say , give a better "daily driver" ride just not as much lift .

Someone who runs them would know better about the difference between the HD and MD .

The trailing arms , when you upgrade your suspension along with those you'll think you're driving a new truck .

I'd say you have a good package picked out for your intended use .

I run the same struts and shocks but with the AC 2" coils and an AC 1" front spacer , it's a pretty stiff combo if the truck will be driven a lot each day .

The OME coils , from what I've seen others say , give a better "daily driver" ride just not as much lift .

Someone who runs them would know better about the difference between the HD and MD .

The trailing arms , when you upgrade your suspension along with those you'll think you're driving a new truck .

Thanks for the feed back, Do you know what the correct part # is for the Bilstein 5100 Rear Shock is?

Edited by 604Allstar

welcome by the way ... I would change your plastic front skidplate with a more robust one.. like aluminium :-)

S.

Yeah I have been looking at those but might have to wait a bit untill funds free up.

Cheers

We have pretty much the same setup except using Rancho 5000's in the rear on a 2000 QX4.

It's been a little over 3 years, the ride is still quite a bit firmer than stock although I know the front has sagged a little.

I still need to measure this but am really wrapped into another 4x4 project at the moment.

I'm also pretty sure we will be adding the 1" spacer when I get time to build bumpers and add my M8000 winch to the front.

Anyway, we had no issues with the struts topping out but you should also get the camber bolts.

Things looked great but the tire wear started showing up at about 6-7000 miles.

We have pretty much the same setup except using Rancho 5000's in the rear on a 2000 QX4.

It's been a little over 3 years, the ride is still quite a bit firmer than stock although I know the front has sagged a little.

I still need to measure this but am really wrapped into another 4x4 project at the moment.

I'm also pretty sure we will be adding the 1" spacer when I get time to build bumpers and add my M8000 winch to the front.

Anyway, we had no issues with the struts topping out but you should also get the camber bolts.

Things looked great but the tire wear started showing up at about 6-7000 miles.

Thanks,

Did you do HD springs in the front?

if I dont plan on ever putting a winch or bumper on mine would I be better off with MD springs in the front and a spacer?

We have the HD fronts and I would do it again.

Here is the link with the original measurements: http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/33480-2k-qx4-lift/

I know it has sagged a bit and it's actually only been a little over two years.

We do wheel it and I will actually do some pretty aggressive stuff, it's a tough rig despite the looks.

I tell you what ( and for my own interest also), I will get it up on the same slab where I took the pre and post lift measurements when I get back this morning and we'll see just how much.

You can see in the original lift pic's it still had a bit of rake to the front after the lift.

I think that is the thing I dislike the most about these things but some of that is simply the body shape.

I wouldn't worry too much about the topping out issue, perfect choice for what you use your truck for btw. They're the perfect combo of ride and handling on and off road.

Thanks for the feedback

I have finally found all the part numbers and went to go order all the items today but it turns out nobody has the HD springs in stock until nov 24. I was really hoping to have all the work done before my next hunting trip on the 21st but I guess this means I now can take advantage of some Black Friday sales!

Also I decided to go with the Airlift 1000 kit as the kit was only $78 shipped, so almost the same cost as 2 bump stops... Definitely more of any upgrade than I need but if I'm going to be replacing everything else I might as well do this too at that price!

Edited by 604Allstar

Did not get in until later last night.

All the OME springs have sagged a bit over the two years they have been on.

Its different at all four corners but not more than 3/8" as an average.

If you take into account tire wear (we have over 20K miles in this two year period) I'd say that's pretty good for a coil spring rig this heavy.

I would get the camber bolts and get 4 of them.

I will install my own and set the camber with an angle finder since these tires are about 1/2 way done and getting pretty chunked.

When it's time to replace the tires sometime next year they will be in place for a shop to do it properly.

• 2 weeks later...

My friend who will be helping me with the install suggested ordering the following new items for the front suspension saying "these would be a good idea, especially if they are cheap as on most vehicles the rubber isn't very thick and they can wear through after a long time which can cause the spring to rub against the seat which causes the paint to wear off and the spring will rust in those areas and on occasion break in half."

From OEM parts list
54036 - Upper seat upper insulator (Seat-Front Spring)
54034 - Spring lower insulator (Seat-Rubber, Front Spring)
54034A - Seat-Rubber, Front Spring
54034B - Seat-Rubber, Front Spring

Looking to save money where I can so if anyone has any feed back I would really appreciate it.

Cheers,

I think your friend's suggestion is a little extreme towards the tail end of that logic, but the idea is there. Though, I doubt your springs will rust apart any time soon unless you really neglect them.

For the parts you've listed there, you should be able to eyeball or feel those parts while on the truck. If you see/feel frays or cuts on the rubber, its likely they need replacing. Since they're rubber, a couple good jerks or twists on the spring will also reveal any excess sponginess...if you hear metal-metal contact, well, something is probably worn or altogether missing.

I'd imagine everything is probably re-usable. The OEM bearings and mounts in your original post should suffice (as long as it also includes the strut mount isolators) for things to replace while you're at it. Worse case scenario, you could by 1-2 of either piece and replace the worst ones; if anything, I'd guess the lower ones would need replacement over the upper ones. Though, I doubt there's a major difference between the A and B pieces, except maybe their length.

Beyond that, reads like you've got your bases covered.