R50 in Phoenix

hawairish

I suppose I could've posted this up a while ago, but thought I'd troll around a little instead and then circle back.

I picked up a silver 2004 PF SE 4WD back in January as a birthday present. I previously had a 2008 Wrangler, but eventually traded it in after learning we were having a 2nd kid in a year (literally Irish twins, same birthday a year apart.)

Came across this Pathfinder and had to have it: OME lift (and 1" spacer), front and mid skid plates from 4x4Design, rock rails, 31" Duratrac MTs, manual hubs, K&N filter, and just all around in great shape, and at the right price. Pretty much everything my Jeep had, albeit on a lesser, IFS scale. I recently stumbled across some posts here from the original owner, but I've been following along since the beginning of the year trying to get up to speed on my options.

This is my 3rd Nissan, previously owning a 1998 Frontier 2wd and a 1990 240SX hatchback. The Frontier is still in the family, about to officially turn 200K miles, though it's closer to 230K since I ran it lifted on 31" for a few years. Aside from changing the clutch twice, it's nearly as it was from the factory (including starter and alternator I think), and the engine and transmission are otherwise untouched (uh, outside routine maintenance of course). That KA engine is indestructible. My Pathfinder just turned 167K, and I hope it can last just as long.

The 240SX had its own story. Previously owned by my brother's buddy (between the two, they owned about 5-6 240SX's), it was once home to a RB20DET from an older Skyline. My brother bought the car, I helped him swap it into his 1989 240SX coupe (that car was stupid fast and fun!) in exchange for the rest of the car and his leftover KA24DE engine and parts. I had started to build it up as a turbo, but scrapped the project when I took a job in Minneapolis. I later got a new 2008 Subaru WRX to satisfy my turbo and AWD needs while living in Chicago, only to return to the desert and get the Jeep.

I've begun collecting parts for a custom 2.5" SFD to stack with my OME setup to clear up room for 32" Wrangler MTs (surplus of take-offs for cheap around here, and I loved them on my Jeep). Stay tuned on the results, or PM if you want more details. Maybe I'll start a build thread. I also just pulled the trigger (today actually) on front poly bushings from AC and rears poly's off eBay, so the front and rear suspension will get an overhaul soon while it's getting more lift.

Chat you guys later.

Thanks guys. Hopefully I can contribute in other ways, in particular with some suspension part alternatives. Not to be naive, but I don't think lifting the R50 is as complicated as others have made it. The SFD is just to get my feet wet, but it's actually geared towards using OEM parts from other vehicles to replace the need for strut and coil spacers, and without needing to weld or cut anything. (Yes, longer struts, longer shocks, and longer coils...all OEM.) I've already got a list of some options, just need to hit the junkyard or buy some parts to confirm.

Bushnut, why only 1.5"? Doable, sure. If you're serious about it, I'll spec things up and see how the results from my lift compare. I'm guessing you've seen some of the posts about problems finding steering shaft options for SFDs less than 4", right? I'm not convinced of a problem. My preliminary measurements suggest no shortage of off-the-shelf parts that can produce the correct amount of extension needed, without binding, and without rotating the R&P body. AC already sells a 2" extension for body-lifted Frontiers and Xterras, that by my count, has the same number of splines. But even if the shaft diameter is wrong, Summit and Jegs sell u-joints and various shaft lengths and diameters that coincide with my numbers. I need to pull all the joints and shafts off this weekend to be certain of the sizes.

Fleurys, we actually chatted by email a few times several months ago. I had some suggestions about cost-savings for your plates, which I thought were awesome, albeit overkill for Joe Nissan. I'm glad you got a new set out there; hope it's showing some returns for your efforts. I thought about jumping on them this go-around after you emailed me, but I'm pleased with the ones I've got. I need to pull them down this weekend and get measurements on all the bolts and holes, since my SFD will also include a radiator support bar allowing me to keep your front plate. I cross-threaded one of those custom bolts in the 'missing link' a while ago, so I'll need to shear the bolt and cut that nylock off unfortunately. But, since the back half of the missing link is not being used, I just need to flip it around and get a new bolt. By the way, I'd recommend taking a look at boltdepot.com if you're still struggling to find inexpensive hardware. I plan on using them to source all my metric and imperial hardware for the SFD.

Edited by hawairish

Bushnut, why only 1.5"?

because I'm running 35mm lift springs from IrongMan as well as 2" of strut spacers...I just want to get my CVs closer to factory angles at full droop. (limit straps are a band aid).

Ideally, you'd want to match up the SFD spacer thickness to the amount of lift you're already achieving; this would put the CV angles to stock. The only compromise at this point is ground clearance, which is probably a better sacrifice over busting CVs. But, I get where you're going.