Alternator Issues

djratlif

Finally put my 2000 Frontier back on the road yesterday with a fresh battery and full tank of gas. Maiden voyage was great, and the next one, but later in the day when I flicked on the headlights things got pretty hairy. First the truck wouldn't start at the gas station, then after jumping it the thing fell flat on its face. After getting it parked at a friend's parents' house I started looking and I think an alt from the d21 4cyl will fit into my d22 4cyl. It shows them as being 10 amps less on the d21 but will it really matter if I don't use electronics much? I have manual windows and locks, manual trans, and manual heat controls. Basically wondering if anyone has done it or tried it. Thanks in advance for the help guys, Derek

If anyone is wondering about this besides me, it doesn't work. The mounting bolt holes are about a half inch closer together on the D21 hardbody alternator. On the other hand the connector for the voltage regulator is the same between D21 and D22 pickups with the exception of wire gauge being different on one side. Back to charging again, although it is charging at 15.07-15.15 volts now.