Rear brakes worn already?

level9

2013 Pathy w/ 25k miles. Up to date on all TSBs. Wife just took it in for an oil change so haven't had a chance to look yet. Dealer says the rear brakes are worn and already need the rotor machined!?

For starters, it seems a little early to already need a brake job? Also, Dealer says front brakes are fine. Why did the rears go bad so fast? He blamed electronic braking control but sounds fishy to me...

Fronts do the majority of the braking, so they definitely should wear first... unless something has changed in braking systems, as they eluded too.

Do your brakes seem a bit on the weaker side, like there should be more? Des it sway or weave when braking hard?

Fronts do the majority of the braking, so they definitely should wear first... unless something has changed in braking systems, as they eluded too.

Do your brakes seem a bit on the weaker side, like there should be more? Des it sway or weave when braking hard?

Agreed, fronts should have gone out first. Just got the report and the fronts are 7mm and rears down to 4mm, so that can't be right... We hadn't noticed any braking issues other than the squeal from the rears just started up this week. Nissan had a TSB about ABS bugs we had patched a few months ago, so I guess I'm just going to chalk it up to that and replace the rears.

On a positive note, the air filter is the same as the one in my WD21 so I was able to swap that out with an old K&N I had to save a few bucks :aok:

• 3 weeks later...

Actually, I don't think that's abnormal. The VDC system applies the rear brakes a bit more to aid in traction as well as reducing front end dip when braking. The Infiniti FX was very well know for this. If you do some complaining to nissan(corporate, not the dealer)they might cover them for you

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...