Ticking noise at idle

Quaintbucket

Went offroading (forest service road, nothing crazy other than the one tame mud hole) last weekend and on the way home I noticed a loud ticking noise.

Thought it might be my engine running low on oil so I pulled over checked it. It was OK but topped it up. Fired the engine up, sounds fine then started ticking again but only at idle.

I'm stumped. Yesterday, I was driving home from work and noticed it again. Thought I should try holding down my brakes while in drive and give a little gas.

Ticking noise stopped completely until the engine went back to idle then started like half a second later.

Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I parked at work and tried to see if I could record it but the noise stopped. Looks like it is intermittent! Makes my life so much easier...

I did notice this when I was driving: when it's in drive, it will make the ticking/knocking noise but when I put it in neutral or park, the noise stops.

Confused!

I will check exhaust leak either way. I'm thinking valve issue as well and it is intermittent.

Goes away when the car is moving as well. Only when idle.

Edited by Quaintbucket

could be injector noise. Mine had that, I ran a bottle of Gummout through it and it's quiet now.

though I do hear a ticking sound at idle when I'm getting close to my oil change interval. I figure it's low oil pressure and i'm hearing the lifters. new oil and it goes away.

I would be leaning toward a lifter, or injector, as stated above usually if you have an exhaust tick it dont go away at different rpm.

i had an a lifter tick when i first started in the morning, and sometimes at idle for years and years, when i finally got down that far, there was a clogged hole in the guide plate that limited the oil to the number 6 lifter. /shrug there are my 37 cents "inflation" on it.

par

Find out where the tick is coming from using a stethiscope, that is how I found my engine noise. I found a knock/tick in my lower end through the oil pan, I took the oil pan off and low and behold the rod bearings for #5 & #6 cylinder had a little play up and down so I just replaced all the rod and main bearings.