Flywheel - Resurface or Replace?

DivaD

Hi all...2004 Chinook Pathfinder; 5spd; 3.5L; 232,000kms (142k miles). After a search here I haven't seen any info apart from most changing out their auto"tragics" to manual. Right now it's in the shop as the front seal was leaking. Have received conflicting advice from Nissan dealers, so am turning to this group.

The word in Canada on availability of a new flywheel is that none are in stock so am just waiting (with fingers crossed) to hear on availability from Japan. Heard it could be 3-6 wks. Yup, driving a rental car...painful on so many levels.

If anyone can help, it is sincerely appreciated. Thx in advance.

Front seal, on the engine or transmission? Must be the transmission if any clutch stuff is involved...

If the flywheel isn't cracked or severely discolored (heat tempered) then you'll be fine with having it cut. Most of the time the only reason for a flywheel to be ruined is from driving on it with a very badly slipping clutch. Otherwise, a normal clutch job where it hasn't really slipped, cutting it will be the way to go.

Thx for the info! Yes, it is the transmission front seal & rear engine seal point. I will still attempt to source a new flywheel so thanks for the member to contact. Enjoy your Sunday!

Well lo & behold guess what showed up yesterday at the dealership?? A brand new Nissan flywheel!!! Saw it come out of the box with my own 2 eyes. Incredible shipping time to be sure however I have a feeling it came off a local dusty part shelf. Never mind, it's here & now the job can get finished & I can back behind the wheel.

A big thanks to everyone here who took time to post info & advise. Enjoy your day & the folks in it!

• 2 weeks later...

The finale...got my truck back on the road & getting used to the new clutch haha. Thanks to everyone who contributed their time & information... What a great forum!!