Alternator condenser

stenk

Hi,

I was planning to change my original 60amp alternator for a 90amp Maxima alternator. When I took off the old one, I saw that it has a small condenser on the back. It looks like this: http://www.courtesyparts.com/27983m-condenser-alternator-pathfinder-wd21-1987-1995-p-546823.html

The new Maxima alternator doesn't have it.

What does the condenser do? Do I need to add it on the 90amp Maxima alt or not?

If I remove it from the genuine alternator, what happens? Could I use the old alternator without the condenser too?

My problem is that I have a Blaupunkt internal antenna and something is causing static into the radio channels. If the truck is not running, there is no static, only when the engine is running. I thought that maybe the alternator causes it, so I decided to try and change it.

Best regards,

Sten

Car radios are designed largely with a built-in shield against alternator-generated static. When a condenser is used, one of the leads connects to the alternator and one connects to ground. When a difference in voltage exists between the leads, a field is generated. Excess energy stores in the insulator, shielding the radio from the interference that would otherwise be discharged.

So yes, use the condenser on your Maxima alternator, if it doesn't already have one. I wouldn't operate the alternator without one, otherwise you'll pick up that static on your radio.

So the condenser only removes static on the radio. Maybe the old alternator is working properly and the condenser has gone bad and not working anymore? Can the condenser be checked somehow?

Basically be in an area where you know a good radio signal is ie near the city, have the condenser screwed to the alternator and the ground wire connected, usually on one of the through bolts on the alternator. Just unscrew one of those bolts and slip the connector in then tighten it up. If you are still getting static, check the fuse. It might be something else.

I have a Blaupunkt antenna and a Blaupunkt radio, Toronto 420BT. Both new.

Well, the alternator change didn't help, everything is still the same. I changed back to the old genuine 60 amp alternator. Now the voltmeter in the instrument panel doesn't read the same as it used to. When I start the truck it stays below 14V mark (or somewhere in the middle between 12-14V marks). Before changing the alternator, I remember it was a little bit over the 14V mark.

Did the change of the alternators mess something up? Or will it take some time to start reading correct again?

Definitely put the wires back where they belong? Ok, if so and everything is on correctly, I assume while you have been using another alternator the charge has depleted a bit with your battery. You can go for a 45 min drive during the day (lights off, radio off, basically have all accessories off) to recharge the battery, or other option is recharge the battery with an external charger. That should get you back up to 14 volts. Remember - alternators do not recharge a nearly dead battery! If you try to rely on the alternator charging a nearly dead battery, this accelerates wear and tear on your alternator, because it has to work harder to provide an electrical charge. The alternator provides an extra 2 volts in theory (battery at 12 volts with engine off, 14 volts with engine on) it provides a charge to your battery to run accessories such as lights, radio, phone chargers etc. Driving all day with accessories off can put an overload on a car battery, causing it to be overcharged due to the alternator amps which is why you see taxi drivers and buses leave their lights on all day so the battery stays at a safe level.

Well, I tested the charging with a multimeter. From the battery it shows 14.2V, which means the alternator charges very well. After a bit driving on Saturday, the voltmeter has started to rise and now shows almost 14V, only slightly different. Maybe it just takes some time to recover and start reading correctly again. Hope for the best! :)

Need to think through and start checking something else now that might cause the static. At least I know that the genuine alternator is still in good shape :)

You're right about it taking a bit of time to get things back up to charge. After changing my alternator, my dash lights would make a weird flickering and the indicators were pulsing brighter then dimmer. It took a couple of days for the volts to get back to normal. It seemed to just need a good couple of long drives with the lights off to recharge the circuits. It's just something these cars do and I'd say age has something to do with it too.

With the static, did you check the antenna is up fully and plugged into the back of the stereo? It might have come a bit loose maybe? Just a thought.