New Pathy, new things to learn

Supererogator

Hello. I just got a 1995 Pathfinder. It is a second Nissan/Datsun truck, as I have had my 1980 720 for a while and even though she is not running, I love her. I have been active in the Ratsun forums for years, but now need to get words in here.

As I mentioned in another thread, I had a decent "POP" come from my right front passenger side today. My truck immediately sank about 4 inches on that corner. It drove fairly well on the small creep home, and upon inspection, I found that the compression (also called tension, or torsion) bar was broken. After I removed it, I noticed that it looked as if it had been broken for quite a while, as there is significant wear on the broken end. Either way, I figured it had finally jumped it's place, and I got one from a local yard, and new bushings, and put it in. This did not fix the issue. I have not driven the truck more than a yard foreword and backward in the driveway to see if it would even out.

My next guess was the shocks, but those were replaced by the guy I just bought it from in the last few years, and all four are still not covered with road grime, and notably white and red…obviously relatively new. Could still be a broken shock, as I have almost no bounce on that side of the truck, after a normal bounce test.

I did notice, as the night went on, and I started reading my books and looking at the web, that maybe I had lost the upper ball joint. This was diagnosed by looking at the truck on the ground. I did do a simple shake the tire test, when it was off the ground and did not feel any excessive play, but when I look at it, it is at a crazy angle…as in, more than 45 degrees.

What think ye, oh wise Pathfinder folks? Suspension should be the same on 4wd Hardbodys of the era.

Thank you.

Oh, Hello. I am kinda newish here. I just got my pathfinder, I have had my 720 for a handful of years, I also have a '65 Mustang that I will eventually put back together. I am a wrencher due to my enjoyment and financial status. Why pay someone when you can have fun, learn, and save money? Frequently the money thing.

Also, I will just use this thread as I go. A timing belt is in my future, as are a few other things, like electric toys that need attention, further front suspension re-working, roof racks and such, and wiggly consoles… but those will come.

X2. What solely determines ride height is the torsion bar, it's what holds the suspension up. It's a different version of a leaf spring or coil. The suspension geometry changes in relation to travel so if that bar broke or stripped in the splines you'll have some serious camber issues and a truck that'll be sitting on the bump stops.

Also, another note, feel free to post a "hello thread" in the welcome section here

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/forum/19-new-people-start-here/

It'd be cool if you started a thread for your truck in the "members rides section," as things tend to get lost in the garage and year specific threads!

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/forum/53-members-rides/

PS. :welcome:

Edited by CO_pathfinder
  • Like 1

The torsion bar on that side was loose. I did tighten it, as I saw no damage, but I am thinking Iay not have done it correctly. Back to the books and possibly the yard again. Thank you, and still taking suggestions.

Found the issue, I think. I have been wrong before, but the torsion bar anchor on the front has lost all of it's teeth. At least enough of them that the bar easily slips and does not stay put. $60 at the Nissan dealership, should be here Thursday, so I can find out if that is, in fact, the issue.

Thank you for pointing me to the torsion bar. I am new to vehicles this new, and haven't really played with suspension before.

Edited by Supererogator

Found the issue, I think. I have been wrong before, but the torsion bar anchor on the front has lost all of it's teeth. At least enough of them that the bar easily slips and does not stay put. $60 at the Nissan dealership, should be here Thursday, so I can find out if that is, in fact, the issue.

Thank you for pointing me to the torsion bar. I am new to vehicles this new, and haven't really played with suspension before.

Don't forget about our resident parts guy, Alkorahil. Tell him what you need, he will e you an invoice, pay it and your part is on the way for a substantial savings.... You can PM him or post on the "Genuine Nissan Parts" forum.

Check or double check that the teeth on the t-bar are undamaged as well, don't want to risk damaging the brand new adjuster :nono:

And since you have one out, now is the time to reindex BOTH bars otherwise you may find that you still can not get it even, side to side.
Go to "The Garage" > "How-To's" > "How To Re-Index Your Torsion Bars"

It also can't hurt taking a look at the other bar and adjuster :togo:

HOLY CHAO! We have a parts in? Didn't know that very valuable tidbit. Next time, I will remember that. Thank you! This one is already coming, so I should stick with it.

Yup, I have checked and tripple checked the Tbar, and I intend on taking it in, to fit the part in front of them to make certain. Alas, the "serations" I read about are still on the teeth of the Tbar, so I think I am in. Thank you for the reminder. Also, yes, I intend on checking the driver's side too, and now resetting them sounds like a good idea (thank you for the tips). Currently, I am leaving it in tact so I can diagnose the issue. For instance, that is why I checked the anchor; this Tbar was showing teeth on it, and the other was not. Pulled it out, too easily, and there she was, all smooth more than halfway in. It didn't hurt to notice that I set the back anchor height to manual spec twice and after tightening it, it would suddenly go slack again. That was a hint.

The following is my fingers thinking…feel free to read on, or not. /PSA

Torsion bars are an interesting engineering bit. It is similar to the tensioning used in bridge building, from what I know. I have always had leaf springs and this is a pretty decent idea. I would have beefed up the teeth, but then the Tbar would fail instead of the less expensive and easier to make part. Is there a way to "build" these, like after market kits, better alloys, etc, to strengthen your suspension? I have never been in a four wheeled world.

Thank you again. What a warm welcome.

Edited by Supererogator

Torsion bars are an interesting engineering bit. It is similar to the tensioning used in bridge building, from what I know. I have always had leaf springs and this is a pretty decent idea. I would have beefed up the teeth, but then the Tbar would fail instead of the less expensive and easier to make part. Is there a way to "build" these, like after market kits, better alloys, etc, to strengthen your suspension? I have never been in a four wheeled world

Thank you again. What a warm welcome.

Usually, when you are looking to strengthen the suspension is point at which you save the headache of trying to fab parts for the factory setup and you just go SAS. As far as I know or have heard about, there are no aftermarket adjusters, just T-bars from Sway-Away.

Warm welcomes is what we are good at. We're even better at keeping you here :lol:

Well, she is fixed. Nissan dealership wasn't able to get the part today, as they promised, and as it was the only predicted sunny day for a while, I went to the yard after work, got one for 10 clams, cleaned it out with a good chem soak, and put it in with new grease and all. test drive was lovely, steering seems more solid than it was with the new pieces in. I still need to reindex the driver's side, but I ran out of daylight. At least I am on the road. Next, install some new bushings I have and get her realigned.

Thanks folks for guiding me in the right direction.

Thank the universe for putting another interchangeable Pathy next to the first one at the yard. 2 sets of parts! Yippie!