Nissan Insists on Giving Wrong Oil Filter?

Swanicyouth

Can someone shed some light on why my Nissan dealer INSISTS on giving me what I think is the wrong oil filter for my 01 R50 PF 3.5l ????

So, EVERY time I go to the dealer they give me this oil filter (15208-9E01A):

bepeseze.jpg

It clearly says on the box it is for a VG33E (3.3l) PF. In fact, the box mentions no where it is for a 3.5l anything:

8u5ugumy.jpg

Every Nissan parts catalogue I look at says is should be this part number:

u9amaby4.jpg

uvu2e9e5.jpg

When, asking the Nissan parts person to "double check" - they still tell me the oil filter they gave me is correct. But, I can not back this up.

This always happens at this dealer. I can't recall what filter I got last time, but one time they gave me a filter that either just wouldn't fit or had damaged threads from new.

Why won't they just give me the right filter? I can find no info this filter is for a 3.5l.

Edited by Swanicyouth

Hey guys!

So here is the skinny of oil filters. First off, they change numbers alot with many interchangable part numbers for the same part because Nissan has multiple suppliers though the years.

Here is the oil filter part number applications for the Nissan R50 and Infiniti JR50:

3.3L ENGINE

Production dates: 01/00-07/02

Part Number: 15208-65F0C (supercession part numbers: 15208-65F00, 15208-65F0A, 15208-65F0B, 15208-65F0E)

Production dates: 10/95-01/00

Part number: 15208-9E01A (supercession part numbers: 15208-9E000, 15208-31U00, 15208-31U0A, 15208-31U0B)

3.5L ENGINE

Part Number: 15208-65F0C Production dates: 01/00-07/04

All this being said, the only difference between the two part numbers is that the 15208-9E01A is about 1/2 and inch longer, thus larger. The diameter and thread is the same.

Edited by Alkorahil
  • Like 1

You guys don't have auto stores or anything that you have to use the dealership?

No there are parts stores everywhere. I just want to use the Nissan filter. So, it looks like they are selling me an oil filter that "will work" - as it's just longer.

I still don't understand why they won't sell me the right damn one listed in the parts book. Next time I'm going in with the part # and of they don't have it I'll go elsewhere.

Odd, but I have my fair share of experience with clueless dealers, talk to Rob as I can assure he isn't clueless. :laugh: Hope you can track down the right filter, otherwise, I've had great luck with Mobil 1 EP filters.

• Like 1

I know your pain!!!

Here in Argentina Nissan insist on selling my filters for the VQ35.... Instead of the VG33E....

I told them the box didn't list the VG33E engine, they told they will work in the same way....

Not knocking the desire to use oem filters, but are they made with metal end caps inside? I know several aftermarket brands use cardboard or plastic, Purolator, Bosch and M1 use metal I've been using those for years with great results. Interesting though that oem has all these different part numbers, but aftermarket, same number for the 3.3 in my 96, 3.5 in my 01 and even the 5.6 in my Titan, go figure. Sure makes it much less confusing for me though. :)