Climate control illumination

vanuatoo

Hello,

I've got 2003 SE with Automatic climate control.
I've noticed that when I turn on the headlights, hence turning on internal illumination, those buttons do not illuminate.
Is this normal or I have a dead bulb?

There are four bulbs in the AC control head. Some of them may have burt out. You can pull the unit and checkthe bulbs if you have really good eyes. OR, with it still plugged in, swap the lamps around and see if the illunination changes. If it does it is probably the bulbs.

P/N 27545-1W600

LAMP ASMY, CONTROLLER

I have also seen bad crimping of the wiring on the plug going into the dimmer switch cause the lamps to not work properly as well. Wiggling the connector the dimmer switch will cause dash lights to come on.

• Like 2

The AC display assembly is fairly simple to get to. Use a flathead screw driver and a rag and pry between the dash and the AC vents located above the digital display. These pop right out and from there it's just removing a few screws and the electronic connecting clips. I've taken my dash apart multiple times from installing my aftermarket receiver and then a backup camera.

I have never pulled the AC unit itself but this is how to get to that step.

-Chase

Look/feel for a Phillips head screw under each of the very bottom corners of the center dash console. Unscrew these screws. Then using a gentle prying motion from bottom to top, work around the outer edges of the console to pry it loose from the dash. You may need to disconnect the electrical connectors to such things as the cigarette lighter, seat heaters, defrost, hazard lights, etc in order to fully remove the console after you've pried it loose.

Then you have access to the HVAC panel, which is probably secured by 4 screws, one on each corner.

I have also seen bad crimping of the wiring on the plug going into the dimmer switch cause the lamps to not work properly as well. Wiggling the connector the dimmer switch will cause dash lights to come on.

Thanks for the nice hint.

Today I was thinking to disassemble the dash, but just knocked on the A/C unit and lights came on. :)

I had the same experience with the rear license plate bulbs, one of them was out. I've ordered the new one and before changing, a friend of mine just knocked on the plastic and it lighted up. :)