Fun with cams! help!

Firstgenpathy

At least you have the tools, knowledge, and courage to tear an engine down like this. More than a lot of people can say. Since you cleaned the RH heads (facing from rear haha), are you going to go ahead and pull the LH heads and clean them for good measure too?

At least you have the tools, knowledge, and courage to tear an engine down like this. More than a lot of people can say. Since you cleaned the RH heads (facing from rear haha), are you going to go ahead and pull the LH heads and clean them for good measure too?

Yeah, I'm going to pull both and try my hand at porting and polishing them as well.

I think a lot of people get apprehensive about tearing into an engine bay. But if you just do it, even if you fail, you learn from it. And tools wise I just have sockets and wrenches, and an old school torque wrench, you know the ones with the needle. I just ziplock and lable everything.

• Like 1

I just ziplock and lable everything.

God, I need to do this. I've got a box that just contains an assortment of bolts and screws and nuts and panel clips, as well a Wendy's bag that was supposed to contain only screws meant for the center console, but now has exterior trim parts mixed in... :stickwack:

First I've heard of a camshaft snapping! That sucks.

nah it's happened before... *raises hand* my RH cam broke at 60mph. MaritimeMan and one other member, don't remember who, had a cam break all three happened fairly close together time wise. All three were the RH cam, all relatively near the sprocket and all around six months after a timing belt change. So no surprise that all three were suspected to have been caused by a too tight timing belt, thus Kingmans comment above. ;)

Oh and in my case, I pulled the head, removed the broken cam, dropped the head off for inspection and repair (they found three bent valves, but the head looked and pressure tested good), inspected the tops of the pistons and the cylinder walls, bought two new cams and threw it all back together. Started right up and ran as if nothing had happened. :aok:

Oh and in my case, I pulled the head, removed the broken cam, dropped the head off for inspection and repair (they found three bent valves, but the head looked and pressure tested good), inspected the tops of the pistons and the cylinder walls, bought two new cams and threw it all back together. Started right up and ran as if nothing had happened. :aok:

I wonder what's so special about the rh cam that its the only one seeming to break?

Though what I should ask, is how do I tighten the belt with out it getting too tight or being too loose. I think as far as breaking is concerned its because the first bearing is so far from the gear. And the add stress of a tight belt snaps it.

I wonder what's so special about the rh cam that its the only one seeming to break?

It's also the cam that is under the greatest tension from the belt. The belt wraps a little further around the RH sprocket that the LH and the tensioner is closest to the RH cam.

Though what I should ask, is how do I tighten the belt with out it getting too tight or being too loose. I think as far as breaking is concerned its because the first bearing is so far from the gear. And the add stress of a tight belt snaps it.

Follow the install process exactly, there is a how to in the Garage > How-To's section.

Yeah, I'm going to pull both and try my hand at porting and polishing them as well.

IMHO, trying to port without the proper tools and flow bench is asking for trouble. You can actually do more harm than good to the mixture flow. Polishing intake is never a good idea, you want as much "turbulence" as possible. If you are gonna do any head work, let the pros do it....

From the head guys I know (no jokes, please) they will polish the exhaust ports but no the intake because they say the added "mixing" from the rough surface of the port aids in a more efficient air/fuel mixture entering the combustion chamber. I am no pro so I take them at their word and it makes sense to me. Ever seen those vortex assemblies?

I believe with fuel injectors mixing isn't to big of an issue. Additionally pros weren't always pros and one day I'd like to call myself a pro too. Here's an excellent write up on port for all those interested.

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/enginemasters/articles/hardcore/0412em_porting_cylinder_heads/viewall.html

Even if I make mistakes, learning is the real objective here. If your to afraid to ruin something and never take a risk to advance your knowledge and experience how are you ever going to learn and grow.

• Like 1

I believe with fuel injectors mixing isn't to big of an issue. Additionally pros weren't always pros and one day I'd like to call myself a pro too. Here's an excellent write up on port for all those interested.

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/enginemasters/articles/hardcore/0412em_porting_cylinder_heads/viewall.html

Nice write up.

Even someone with good knowledge of the head is just guessing if he doesn't have access to a flow bench. Porting of the intake is one thing polishing is another.

It seems as though polishing is only for looks and does do to much for flow

Whew definately takes a lot of work. I've got one cylinder almost done just cleaning up a little bit. Spent an hour on it. And I'm definitely gonna need more sanding rolls. I only had four and I'm down to one.

Hands feel numb from sitting with the grinder so long. I've noticed sanding takes a lot longer than grinding tips. I started using the corse tips first and the sanding after just to save tips but the grind tips go pretty fast too.

For those of you who've gotten a port feel free to comment on how it looks and what I can improve on.

Sorry its a link I still haven't got a photobucket. And there with all my other photos

https://drive.google.com/folder/d/0B3u9r81m9OssZm8tTTQ5Ull3WjA/edit