265/75/15; the alternative size I never hear about

ONe21

So I've been looking at tires for the past month since my 31x10.5 Dynapro A/TMs are wearing down. I rarely off-road or carry anything heavy that would require the C load rating, but I got a crazy deal on them. I was looking for alternative sizes, since the 265/70/15s are sometimes hard to come by. A local shop said that they had some 265/75s in stock. I like the fact that they are a little bigger than the stock size, but they are still E load.

Well, after looking online at one of the major suppliers (not sure I can mention the name) they had some Cooper A/T3 tires in that size for $132 each, plus free shipping, plus $40 instant rebate, plus a $70 mail-in visa card rebate. I just ordered them because it was the best deal that I've found yet.

Why don't others mention that size when having the conversation? I always hear 31x10.5, 265/70/15, and even 30x9.5/15. I used the tire size calculator and they appear to be virtually the same size as 31x10.5s.

I have a brand new set of 265/75/15s sitting/waiting to be mounted. Side by side with a 31x10.5 it looks a hair narrower but otherwise pretty dam close (by eyeball). Basically it's a metric 31 but just not as mainstream of a size

Thanks nunya. That's good to know. Since nominal sizes and actual sizes vary by the tire, I'm hoping that I don't have rubbing issues with the new tires. I'm planning on getting wheel spacers to increase the front track and so it doesn't look so awkward from the front. I'd like for them to be flush with the top of the fender. I'm going to wait for the new tires before I decide though.

DSC02587_zpsdeddd473.jpg

I leveled a 2x4 with it resting flush with the top middle of the fender flare for a visual.

No kidding, though it could just be the way his truck sits in his garage, it may be uneven or something, irregular elevation in the foundation. The inside edge of the tire should be severely worn at a higher rate than the outer edge but it doesn't look like it.

You'll like those Coopers, I've taken mine through everything and they seem to hook up everywhere, beach sand, loose soft mud, wet roads, gravel...they do a pretty damn good job of living up to their All Terrain claim, and do much better off road than they've really got any right to. They're siped really well and are made of a long wearing composition rubber. They ride good on the road, handle well and have only started to sing a little bit now that i've got maybe 12,000 +/- miles on them, and they still look brand new.

It sounds like you got a great deal at $130 ea, I think I paid like $160 or so at Discount tire for mine, don't forget you're probably gonna have about 60 or 70 in shipping costs so that'll negate your rebates and stuff, and then you've gotta find a shop that won't charge you and arm and a leg to mount and balance.

If I were you I'd drive to to your local hood / barrio and pull off the road at a small tire shop, pay 'em 20 bucks. From what I can see, for me, that's the biggest drawback hurdle to overcome when ordering tires offline at a great price is the mount / balance / road hazard warranty, I don't know if any big name shops will honor an internet seller deal for when you need local help, I don't know how that works.

tire size specs:

265/70/15 (BF Goodrich Rugged Trail)
29.7 OD
10.7 section width
8.2 tread width

on a 8" wide wheel

265/75/15 (BF Goodrich Long Trail)
30.7 OD
10.5 section width
8.1 tread width
on a 7.5" wide wheel

31/10.50/15 (BF Goodrich Rugged Trail)
30.5 OD
10.6 section width
8.1 tread width

on a 8.5" wide wheel

Of course wheel width changes the section width

From tire rack's site :

"The industry rule of thumb is that for every 1/2" change in rim width, the tire's section width will correspondingly change by approximately 2/10"."

Edited by ahardb0dy

That's a heap of neg camber you have there

I just had an alignment done and the camber is a hair out of spec. Probably from the springs having 140k miles on them. I measured all four corners and there is less than a 1/4" difference from left to right. The tire bulge kind of gives the appearance of extreme negative camber.

It sounds like you got a great deal at $130 ea, I think I paid like $160 or so at Discount tire for mine, don't forget you're probably gonna have about 60 or 70 in shipping costs so that'll negate your rebates and stuff, and then you've gotta find a shop that won't charge you and arm and a leg to mount and balance.

If I were you I'd drive to to your local hood / barrio and pull off the road at a small tire shop, pay 'em 20 bucks. From what I can see, for me, that's the biggest drawback hurdle to overcome when ordering tires offline at a great price is the mount / balance / road hazard warranty, I don't know if any big name shops will honor an internet seller deal for when you need local help, I don't know how that works.

I got mine at Discount tire as well, so no shipping. Out the door it was $566 with replacement cetificates. I'm on an Air Force base and the shop here will do mount/balance for $44, so that puts me at $600 ($530 when I get my rebate).

There is a Firestone on base also and they had a special for Destination LE2s that would have been around $450 mounted/balanced, but after reading reviews on them, they aren't as good as their predecessor so I passed.

I've read/heard a lot of good things about the A/T3s from people using them on-road and off-road so I look forward to mounting them up.

Does anyone here have wheel spacers on stock rims? I want to get an idea of what I will need. I'm thinking 2", but I don't want the wheels to stick out beyond the top of the fender flare. I'm sticking with hub-centric and the only choices I've found for under $200 is a 1" and 2". I'm not sure that 1" will get me where I want to be.

Edited by ONe21

Wow man, you got a really good deal..I'm friggin jealous. I paid out the door like roughly $850 at Discount tire here in Houston. I mean, I think I walked outta there a little bowlegged....As far as I'm concerned the Cooper AT/3 will go head to head against any other high dollar premium all terrain tire. Good job man.

I just had an alignment done and the camber is a hair out of spec. Probably from the springs having 140k miles on them. I measured all four corners and there is less than a 1/4" difference from left to right. The tire bulge kind of gives the appearance of extreme negative camber.

I got mine at Discount tire as well, so no shipping. Out the door it was $566 with replacement cetificates. I'm on an Air Force base and the shop here will do mount/balance for $44, so that puts me at $600 ($530 when I get my rebate).

There is a Firestone on base also and they had a special for Destination LE2s that would have been around $450 mounted/balanced, but after reading reviews on them, they aren't as good as their predecessor so I passed.

I've read/heard a lot of good things about the A/T3s from people using them on-road and off-road so I look forward to mounting them up.

Does anyone here have wheel spacers on stock rims? I want to get an idea of what I will need. I'm thinking 2", but I don't want the wheels to stick out beyond the top of the fender flare. I'm sticking with hub-centric and the only choices I've found for under $200 is a 1" and 2". I'm not sure that 1" will get me where I want to be.

Best way to see which spacers you'll want, mount the tires up then do your 2x4 test and measure from your sidewall to the edge of the wood. Easy peasy.