Pathy On Steroids - Malaysia

roy

Hi guys.

When i started this project, i wanted to document each step with photos in this forum, but upon realising that it has no self upload feature & that i have to upload in an image sharing site, & paste the url.. I always skipped it.

Anyway, ive decided that this is worth sharing, & i finally sat down to do it.
Details of the project:

1. Snorkel Kit

2. Superpro Bushes All Round

3. New Original Body Bushes All Round (Courtesy of Alkorahil)

4. 4" Body Lift

5. 15x10 33's on Lighweight Alloys

6. MSD Coil

7. Bluefire Sparky Cables

8. Fresh Tranny Oil, Engine Oil, Axle Oil & Transfer Case Oil.

9. New Seals for Engine Oil Pan, Crank Pulley & Tranny.

10. Lightened Crank Pulley

11. 110 Amp Alternator

12. New Belts

13. ProFender Large Strut Absorbers

14. Idle Arm Brace & Panhard Rod Extension

15. Custom Engine Mounts & Gearbox Mounts Made from Steel

16. Air Swirl (Surbo) for Better Air Flow

17. Steel Braided Brake Hoses

18. Ventilated Discs & Overhauled Braking System

19. Anti Roll Bar

20. New 3 Core Radiator

21. New Struts for Rear Glass Hatch & Boot

22.New Radiator Hoses

23. New Ball Joints & Arms All Round

24. New Couplings

25. K&N Air Filter

26. Stainless Steel Screws for Snorkel, Roof Rack & LED Bars

27. Navara Roof Rack

28. White LED Bar on Roof with Custom Bracket

29. Amber LED Bar on Bull Bar

30. New Fan Clutch & Reconditioned Fan Blade

31. New Radiator Expansion Tank

32. Reconditioned Steering Box

33. New Maxxis Bighorn Tires

34. Sunvisor with Vanity Mirrors & Light

35. New Enlarged Exhaust System

36. Powder Coated Brackets & Cargo Hooks

37. New Carpets

38. New Immobilizer, Radio & Siren

39. Rust Proofed Roof

40. New Clutch, Clutch Housing & Bearings

41. New Wheel Bearings

42. PIAA Silicon Wiper Blades

43. Window Visors

44. Body Side Moulding

45. Lamp Guards for Front & Rear

46. TD27 Torsion Bars

47. New Thermostat

Edited by roy

As you can see in the photos, many different wheels with various offset were tried to achieve the right setup & look.

& The DBA rotors didnt work as they were too large.

Wow! That is a fine lookin Pathfinder! Looks great Roy, how long did this entire project take you? Does this model have coil springs in the front? Or does it still use torsion bars? It was hard to tell in one of your pics, there's a shock in the pic right next to a coil spring with what looks like one of Fleurys HDPE coil spacers, was that on the rear? The lift looks fantastic.

You guys over seas have such a completely different engine and driving dynamic than us with your Z24 engine and carb setup in a 2000 SE year model! Haha! I love that. I like your wheel and tire combo too, looks great. How do those Bighorns ride on the road, are they rough and very loud? Outstanding truck Roy, I know you're a proud Papa just now.

I'm jealous how clean and straight forward that engine bay / layout is, it looks like he could just about rebuild the engine right there sitting in the truck! Look how easy it would be to pull the exhaust manifold, but at the same time IT'S NEW!!! Hah! Thats the best part, it's not an old corroated nuts and bolts and miscellaneous parts you'd be working on from the early / mid 80s. How big would the power and efficiency deficit really be having a carbureted engine instead of computer controlled and mapped fuel injection with the repair headache that brings?

Wow! That is a fine lookin Pathfinder! Looks great Roy, how long did this entire project take you? Does this model have coil springs in the front? Or does it still use torsion bars? It was hard to tell in one of your pics, there's a shock in the pic right next to a coil spring with what looks like one of Fleurys HDPE coil spacers, was that on the rear? The lift looks fantastic.

You guys over seas have such a completely different engine and driving dynamic than us with your Z24 engine and carb setup in a 2000 SE year model! Haha! I love that. I like your wheel and tire combo too, looks great. How do those Bighorns ride on the road, are they rough and very loud? Outstanding truck Roy, I know you're a proud Papa just now.

Thanks!

Project took about 7 months. Uses torsion bars upfront. & yes, the coils are on the rears.

Those bighorns are amazingly quiet with superior qrip on dry & moderate conditions but on wet surface, i surely take it easy.

But in mud, it performs well. The studs allow the mud to somewhat self clean so u have thread, not mud stuck in it.

I'm jealous how clean and straight forward that engine bay / layout is, it looks like he could just about rebuild the engine right there sitting in the truck! Look how easy it would be to pull the exhaust manifold, but at the same time IT'S NEW!!! Hah! Thats the best part, it's not an old corroated nuts and bolts and miscellaneous parts you'd be working on from the early / mid 80s. How big would the power and efficiency deficit really be having a carbureted engine instead of computer controlled and mapped fuel injection with the repair headache that brings?

The power of the Z24 is nothing to shout about in terms of top speed. But its a very torquey engine.

You can climb the steepest hill with just a little bit of throttle without the need of ramming/flooring it.

The carburetor has never given me any problems thus far. I guess its about proper servicing & how you handle your right foot on the gas. Many of the Malaysian Pathfinders (Terrano) have been converted to Nissan's SR engine variant. SR20 DET as an example.

While these will fly high on the freeways, it will be useless during offroad as u have to rev it very high to get the torque produced by the Z24. But the Z24, if tweaked & tuned well, is more than sufficient.

Agreed, I drove a D720 kingcab 4x4 with the Z24 for many years. Super reliable, and super slow. 106hp from the factory IIRC so no gv280z, you aren't jealous about the motor set up.

I never looked into engine mods as I live in California smog territory, but I do understand that that they can be improved considerably. What about the KA24 version, they were in the 140hp range but do they bolt up?

B

Are you kidding? I love the way my Pathfinder runs and scoots around fairly quickly but given the option, I'd have no trouble swapping out the complicated, heavy, shoehorned in, VG30 for the dead simple and straight forward Z24 engine that he's got there. Whatever he doesn't have in power is made up for in simplicity and ease of use, lightweight and probably a little better fuel mileage, I'd guess in the low 20s around town. That thing will probably literally run forever.

VGs run long enough themselves and Z24s dont get 20mpg around town, even when they aren't hauling around 2 tons.

Not trying to change your mind, just saying I've driven both motors for about 10 years each and I'll take the VG, especially in a Pathy. ;)

Swap away! :tongue:

B