CDN_S4

On 9/24/2020 at 1:43 PM, RainGoat said:

You know the Nissan Pathfinder R50

f3dfad336ba5609f64341e8ff72f2672.jpg

But have you seen the Nisyota FJ Finder

4867f6ea51c2127a39ea3661dc01bfd8.jpg

Or the Toysan PathRunner

24f13efe1df1b474a57e068c2c2e14ef.jpg

I think my Nissan & Toyota DNA are starting to mix!?! Or at least my girl stepped in something!

Hahaha that's awesome! You know, those SR5 wheels actually look pretty sick on the R50...  ;) 

Hahaha that's awesome! You know, those SR5 wheels actually look pretty sick on the R50...   

Yeah, I thought they all looked pretty good. The 5th Gen T4R TRD Off-Road wheels (7 spokes) are a dime a dozen around here as everyone replaces them with the TRD Pro wheels. I picked up a 4pack with new stock Dunlop ATs for $250.

21 hours ago, RainGoat said:

Yeah, I thought they all looked pretty good. The 5th Gen T4R TRD Off-Road wheels (7 spokes) are a dime a dozen around here as everyone replaces them with the TRD Pro wheels. I picked up a 4pack with new stock Dunlop ATs for $250.

Dang, that's a steal! I'll definetely have to look into those. Been considering getting a second set of wheels with more rugged tires to swap out for trails and harsh winters, but stock '99.5 SE wheels are almost impossible to find here in the midwest due to the rarity of any sort of R50s in the rust belt. And we have an abundance of 4Runners with TRD Pro wheels

I actually found a half decent '00 SE with the same stock wheels at a junk lot a while back, but I took too long to jump on it and the whole vehicle had sold within days (which is probably for the best, it had a little body damage but was running perfectly fine and probably shouldn't have been junked anyway). Since then I've been looking at some other various wheels from similar vehicles that might look good on the old girl and that would be easier to find and much cheaper. I've also considered those same FJ wheels before (a buddy of mine has an '11 FJ Cruiser and he let me try his spare stock wheels on the Pathy for a little while) but they looked a little off on my truck for some reason. 

• Like 1

an older pic of before i did my lights and other stuff. This was taken right after I did my AC springs and KYB shocks/struts and got my big 265/70/R16 tires on there. Just me messing around a bit and smilin' all big, putting the Q on a random rock lol

IMG-1336.jpg

• Like 1

Dang, that's a steal! I'll definetely have to look into those. Been considering getting a second set of wheels with more rugged tires to swap out for trails and harsh winters, but stock '99.5 SE wheels are almost impossible to find here in the midwest due to the rarity of any sort of R50s in the rust belt. And we have an abundance of 4Runners with TRD Pro wheels....Since then I've been looking at some other various wheels from similar vehicles that might look good on the old girl.

Since the 4Runner Pro is actually the wrong choice (added cosmetics but can’t get KDSS & comes with a suspension you’ll want to change anyway - all for ~$5,000 more), you’ll find lots & lots of people putting Pro wheels on Off-Roads (the actual Pro wheel us 7” & you’re better off getting a custom 7.5-8” from the same manufacturer for the same or less). Anyway, it gluts the used market with Off-Road trim wheels. As you’ve said, way more so in places like CO, UT, WA, OR. I actually troll the KC & Asheville NC Craigslist market & the supply there is virtually non-existent. Used Toyota wheels are still the easiest to find but beware they take Mag Lugs, not Acorns & Toyota uses a different pitch than Nissan so expect to buy Nissan threaded Mag lugs.

20 hours ago, RainGoat said:

Since the 4Runner Pro is actually the wrong choice (added cosmetics but can’t get KDSS & comes with a suspension you’ll want to change anyway - all for ~$5,000 more), you’ll find lots & lots of people putting Pro wheels on Off-Roads (the actual Pro wheel us 7” & you’re better off getting a custom 7.5-8” from the same manufacturer for the same or less). Anyway, it gluts the used market with Off-Road trim wheels. As you’ve said, way more so in places like CO, UT, WA, OR. I actually troll the KC & Asheville NC Craigslist market & the supply there is virtually non-existent. Used Toyota wheels are still the easiest to find but beware they take Mag Lugs, not Acorns & Toyota uses a different pitch than Nissan so expect to buy Nissan threaded Mag lugs.

Thanks for the info! Glad you said something, because knowing myself I probably wouldn't have thought of that until I ran into the problem  ?

That's also some really good consumer advice on the 4Runner. At some point within the next few years I'll need a second car, something I can daily. I have too much sentimental attachment to my Pathy (I know thats not a good thing, but it's not exactly something I can change) and having moved to Ohio, the salt is just tearing up the poor old girl. I want something similar to my Pathfinder but newer, so I've been looking at 2013-2016 TRD Off-Road 4Runners since clearly the newer Pathfinders are out of the question (it's a shame what they've done to it, really). Anyway, that's my tangent for today lol.

20 hours ago, The_Q said:

an older pic of before i did my lights and other stuff. This was taken right after I did my AC springs and KYB shocks/struts and got my big 265/70/R16 tires on there. Just me messing around a bit and smilin' all big, putting the Q on a random rock lol

Looks great! It's crazy how unassumingly capable old Pathfinders and QX's are off road with some pretty basic modifications like small lifts, good tires, lockers, etc, so long as they're done right of course. Nice to see yet another smiling face enjoying an old R50  ?

Welcome to NPORA by the way! 

• Like 1

2013-2016 TRD Off-Road 4Runners 

Having lived in Cleveland for 4+years in the late ‘90s, the salt there will eat a car alive. 

Look 2014+ facelifted models (also when they switch from calling it the Trail Edition to the much more cumbersome & marketing influenced TRD Off-Road). It has the much better looking front chin & better headlights. I would also try & get one with KDSS though that’s going to be much harder. KDSS is like magic - stabilizes on road at speed & increases off-road articulation 10cm. Rarely a failure problem. Rust is much more of an issue on 4Runners than Pathfinders so I wouldn’t even bother looking in the rust belt.

Another great option are the GXs. They depreciate much faster than 4Runners but are essentially a combo of 4Runner & FJ underneath. GX470(Prado 120)-2009/2010+GX460(Prado 150).

3 minutes ago, RainGoat said:

Having lived in Cleveland for 4+years in the late ‘90s, the salt there will eat a car alive.

Look 2014+ facelifted models (also when they switch from calling it the Trail Edition to the much more cumbersome & marketing influenced TRD Off-Road). It has the much better looking front chin & better headlights. I would also try & get one with KDSS though that’s going to be much harder. KDSS is like magic - stabilizes on road at speed & increases off-road articulation 10cm. Rarely a failure problem. Rust is much more of an issue on 4Runners than Pathfinders so I wouldn’t even bother looking in the rust belt.

Ah okay, I live in Medina if you know where that is, not far from CLE at all. Most of the solid models I've been eyeing were 2015-16s. Difficult to go any newer from a buget perspective (moving to a nicer apartment somewhat soon), but 2013 is my absolute age limit due to your exact point about rusting issues. KDSS is definitely on my ideal requirement list, but it also might mean going with a slightly older model to balance cost. Also looking online for cars in VA and NC.

I live in Medina if you know where that is, not far from CLE at all.

Well, at least you won’t have lake effect snow. You’ll probably have to go to Western PA, WV or KY for off-road opportunities.

27 minutes ago, RainGoat said:

You’ll probably have to go to Western PA, WV or KY for off-road opportunities.

Yep, any sort of decent trails are hella hard to find around here unfortunately  ?

25 minutes ago, RainGoat said:

Back on topic!

But yes, back on topic! Those are some sweet nature shots. Cascades I'm assuming?

• Like 1

On 11/3/2020 at 6:11 PM, onespiritbrain said:

So the amber color temp is proving more useful?

Absolutely. The brilliant white that it was before reflects off everything, including my hood. Makes it somewhat uselss unless there is perfect conditions. It would reflect off rain, snow, dust signs etc.

With the switch to amber there is very little of that and the light penetrates much further. 

• Like 1

Absolutely. The brilliant white that it was before reflects off everything, including my hood. Makes it somewhat uselss unless there is perfect conditions. It would reflect off rain, snow, dust signs etc.
With the switch to amber there is very little of that and the light penetrates much further. 

Very very interesting. So did you actually open the lightbar up and put amber LEDs in place of the cool white LEDs or are you using a film to change the color temperature?

Just now, onespiritbrain said:

Very very interesting. So did you actually open the lightbar up and put amber LEDs in place of the cool white LEDs or are you using a film to change the color temperature?

I opened the light, removed the old clear lens and had new amber lenses cut to match. Coatings and tints just dont create correct hue and richness of color. I tried both

• Like 2

I opened the light, removed the old clear lens and had new amber lenses cut to match. Coatings and tints just dont create correct hue and richness of color. I tried both

OK I’m sold. Is there a thread detailing the conversion? If not could you share where you found the amber lens that works well for you?

No thread. Just open the light, pull the lens and take it down to your local Tap Plastics. They can size it to the existing piece you have and cut it right there on the spot. If you prefer to do it yourself just find a high quality polycarbonate in your choice of color and cut to size. Just make sure to reseal it or you'll have water intrusion. 

• Like 2

On 11/5/2020 at 12:16 PM, The_Q said:

IMG-1336.jpg

yo wasssup. im also from the sf bay area.

• Like 2

cool man I see your rig there, very cool build. We should set up a little wheeling session sometime in the future! I still gotta get my CV axles replaced, haven't had much time to do it recently. I also got a couple cool projects planned for my rig, one of which may put it out of commission for a few days, but still gotta source some parts/materials for all that.

i'm down to meet some local R50 owners. us VG's gotta stick together :D

• Like 1