Front end clunking over bumps SOLVED

ONe21

Since I bought my 98 Pathy SE 4x4 there has been a clunk in the front end upon hitting bumps. I owned a 2001 QX4 before and the issue was fixed with anti-sway bar end links. So, I replaced those first... no luck. I noticed that my tires where worn kind of funky and that my truck was kind of all over the place on the highway when hitting bumps, so I inspected the shock/struts and they were toast; I replaced with KYBs. The ride was WAY better, but the clunking was still there. I then discovered some play in the passenger side wheel when moving/shaking it from top to bottom, so I instantly thought of ball joints. Replaced them, but it didn't solve the problem. After that was fixed and the driver side wheel still had play I decided that my wheel bearings were loose. Instead of repacking and all that mess, I just replaced them and torqued them correctly (it was cheap); that didn't fix the clunk, but it removed the slight play in the wheel. I removed the plastic "skid plate" and little H bar thing to take a look at the anti-sway bar. I grabbed it and shook it violently and BINGO! It had enough movement that I knew that had to be it. Sure enough, that's what it was. After replacement and a quick test drive, my problem was completely solved. I thought I'd share because I know that the front end clunk is a common issue we deal with here. It was only a $15 fix and totally worth the work.

The replacement was pretty straight forward. It took less than 2 hours from start to finish (including clean-up).

Things you'll NEED:

-Jack stands, ramps, or a lift (would make life so much easier)

-10mm, 12mm, and 14mm sockets

-3/8" or 1/2" ratchet

-at least a 3"-4" extension

Chances are that the bolts are NOT going to want to let go so I would suggest the following:

-PB Blaster

-Breaker bar

-Impact

-5lb mallet

Ok, you'll start by removing the following (plastic skid plate and "H" brace):

DSC02607_zpsaed2b714.jpg

There are a bunch of 10mm bolts for the skid plate and only 4 14mm bolts for the H brace; pretty easy stuff.

Now you will be able to see the bracket that holds the sway bar and ties it to the chassis. There are four 14mm (If I remember correctly) bolts. I would hit these with PB Blaster and let them sit for a while before tackling them, unless you have some of the optional tools such as a breaker bar or impact. They may not be frozen, but it depends on your climate and what kind of crap you put your rig through.

DSC02606_zpsaeedce0e.jpg

Here is a picture with all four of the bolts visible. It should be pretty obvious which one's I am referring to but just to be sure, it's the one with the wrench hanging from it and the other three of same kind on the bracket.

DSC02608_zps064d8edd.jpg

The bushing will be sitting around the anti-sway bar when you pull the bracket away.

DSC02609_zps68a4a981.jpg

Here is a comparison of old versus new.

DSC02613_zpsc6f74d78.jpg

DSC02612_zpsb687b735.jpg

From here it is simply put everything back the way you found it. Hope this helps!

• Like 3

No problem. I know that the front end noise can be frustrating - at least it was for me. This is the cheapest of the components to fix and the labor involved isn't bad etiher. In my case it wasn't hard to tell that the bushing where the culprit. After a quick jarring of the anti-sway bar it was pretty apparent that the bushings were toast; so it was a no-brainer as to whether I should replace them or not. Next is new tie rods and a mis

Nice writeup on how to change the sway bar bushings. You should consider replacing the steering rack bushings as well, since the one under the oil filter is partially rotted away from oil dripping onto it during oil changes.

See in the below photo the bracket holding the steering rack to the subframe? There should be rubber on both sides of that bracket. You can see that the right half of the bushing is missing. If you continue to drive with it like this, you may eventually find that your steering wheel will not return to center after steering (although your truck will continue to drive straight). To protect the bushing from oil dripping from the filter during oil changes, place foil or shop rags over the rack and place a ziplock baggie around the filter as you unscrew it. The oil will spill into the ziplock baggie instead of onto your steering rack (and the rubber bushing).

DSC02606_zpsaeedce0e.jpg

Edited by XPLORx4

its SUPER EASY,

Remove bolt, remove bushing, re install new bushing, re install bolt. Given there is a little fuss getting the bushing around the rack, but its fairly self explanatory, just make sure you put the bushings on the right side!!! (YES, there is a right and a left), but its THAT easy.

-Kyle

• Like 1

its SUPER EASY,

Remove bolt, remove bushing, re install new bushing, re install bolt. Given there is a little fuss getting the bushing around the rack, but its fairly self explanatory, just make sure you put the bushings on the right side!!! (YES, there is a right and a left), but its THAT easy.

-Kyle

Interesting.... could this be the source of a clunk when turning at full lock?

hmm, i dont know for sure, but its worth a shot. They fairly cheap OEM, and if you are regular on oil changes, i can promise, that at-least one will be gross, and probably not doing its job correctly.

I changed mine, with no really steering problems, doing it on a hunch and suggestions from people on here. It looked fine, but as soon as i took it out, i knew it needed to be changed.

-Kyle

Edited by ferrariowner123

hmm, i dont know for sure, but its worth a shot. They fairly cheap OEM, and if you are regular on oil changes, i can promise, that at-least one will be gross, and probably not doing its job correctly.

I changed mine, with no really steering problems, doing it on a hunch and suggestions from people on here. It looked fine, but as soon as i took it out, i knew it needed to be changed.

-Kyle

25k miles a year requires frequent oil changes, yes. :laugh: Would you happen to know what they're listed under on RockAuto, I don't see bushings in the 'steering' area.

• 4 weeks later...

They're on RockAuto (Dorman p/n 905-402). Look under Steering > Rack and Pinion Bushing. Or this for a couple bucks less and free shipping: http://www.ebay.com/itm/261049354065. Both options are a little cheaper than buying from courtesyparts.com or nissanparts.cc.

The sway bar bushings are under Suspension > Stabilizer Link Bushing. You've got options there. I'd recommend the split design to ease installation. But otherwise, a single cut in the bushing has the same effect.

I'm planning to replace these while I'm undoing things later in the month.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Ive been getting a clunk too when turning the wheel and i'm going over uneven terrain. I hope this is it, especially where I've been suspecting the sway bar. This would be the best case scenario as it is cheap and easy to fix. Good write up! (Yes I know it's old).

After changing a many of my bushings and rod ends, i have been told its the steering rack. I think i mentioned it to you CDN_S4 but i figured id mention it in this thread too as it apparently can go bad...

My noise has since subsided and i'm not really worried about it, but when i get the extra funds, ill be swapping my original rack out.

-Kyle

Edited by ferrariowner123
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

It's really only under tension when the body rolls. The bolts are usually stuck, so a wrench on one side and impact on the other usually does the job. It may pop up a little, but not much. If you have trouble pushing it back down, use a pry bar.

Edit: I guess I should have read the whole thread. I assumed you were just asking about changing the sway bar links.

Edited by Citron
  • Like 1

My 2003 also had this clunk. Mechanic replaced ball joints and most of it was gone, but still had some in cold weather. Ended up replacing sway bar bushings. One of them was a little bit cracked. Both of them were widened. I did this when truck was at 95,000 miles and used OEM parts. Should last for another 12 years :)

Edited by vanuatoo