How to remove fan shroud

rbaum94

without removing the fan or the radiator/hoses? I guess i can't get away with not removing the radiator hose at the top, but after that can it just be pulled right out from between the fan and the radiator?

Without cutting it? I don't think so....

IIRC, the width of the shroud is greater than the clearance of the fan to radiator and you can't tilt/slide it enough to get clear. Close, but not clear...

Hopefully I'm wrong, but this is what the brain is saying. :shrug:

You could remove the fan/clutch and that should let it out, but mark/clock it carefully and re-align it as well as possible. I've seen differently balanced fan clutches take out water pumps in short order, they oval out the bushing/seal as they run differently...

B

I managed to remove my shroud, it just has mms of clearance but it's possible.

First, remove top radiator hose and overflow coolant reservoir. Second, undo the four screws holding the fan shroud in place. Two on top corners, two on lower corners. It will be easier to remove base engine bash plate at this stage.

Then crawl under front of car, the shroud is in two pieces, snap fitted together. Feel halfway up the shroud and you'll find the little clippy things that hold them together. You have to squeeze one edge then push inwards and they pop out. It's a bit fiddly, I managed to break one of mine a bit because I was unsure of how they come apart. Once you have the bottom piece separated you can just drop it down and slide it out. The top part you should be able to manoeuvre out wiggling it slowly up and side to side. Just be careful. You might feel like the shroud is scraping the hell out of your radiator fins but it will be ok.

The main thing here is you have to remove the coolant reservoir to gain more access to the sides, remove the top coolant hose out of the way and the bottom shroud must be unclipped and removed because it's wider at the bottom than the top piece, so you can clear it from the fan. I have the TD27 motor though, which is probably why it's easier for me to remove. Also I cleaned the shroud off of the dust and grime since it was out. It's a lot easier to clean with it out of the engine bay!

I guess I could cut the shroud out. If i drove without it on it wouldn't cause too much trouble would it? I recently had some damage done to my front end and now the fan scrapes the bottom of the shroud pretty bad so I'd just rather do without it right now.

I've gone shroudless for a year or 2. It's there for a reason but only cooling issue I've had that wasn't leak related was when about 1/2 the core from my rad didn't exist (I now run electric fans, they have their own shroud built in)

I guess I could cut the shroud out. If i drove without it on it wouldn't cause too much trouble would it? I recently had some damage done to my front end and now the fan scrapes the bottom of the shroud pretty bad so I'd just rather do without it right now.

There is a bottom lip about an inch wide that many of us take off for clearance when installing body lifts. Take a look and see if that would do it for you, it just clips together and would be an easy solution if appropriate.

B

Mate if the V6 is anything like the Diesel TD27. It's a piece of cake. I had to take mine off the other day, takes about 5 mins.

Step 1: Take the bottom part off (as stated above it's merely snap locked in place to the top half once you've undone bottom screws) Probably pays to take bash plate off as you will need to pull it out through the bottom. (by memory you don't have to worry about bottom hoses. If you do then simply undo it and leave there until you've removed top half.

Step 2: Undo your top radiator hose (if you do it carefully you should be able to angle it up so no fluid is lost (maybe plug it for time being?)

Step 3: Undo the 2 screws holding it to the radiator, should pretty much just slide up now, providing you followed Step 1. May have to tweak it a little past the fan but she has enough flex that you won't break it.

Also I don't run a bottom shroud anymore because I like you had problems with the fan ripping it up when I broke an engine mount about 6 months ago.
Hope that all helps mate! Also, maybe look into aftermarket radiators, my new one is a slightly thinner alloy one designed for Pathys and does a better job than the original B)