Oil Consumption.

GePa

My truck has 140k miles and burns roughly 1/2 a quart max every 1k miles. However it's not consistent. I've noticed that it will burn oil at a faster rate with highway miles versus city miles.

make sure you dont have valve cover gasket leaks. Around that year its a common thing to need to change them. Also, if your driving it at 3 thousand rpm plus, try driving it at 2500 ish rpm, just leave earlier. If you still consume oil at reduced RPM, just "not as much by a small percentage" then ya its probably using it. Look at your tail pipe when u first start up in the morning and see if you get blueish smoke until it warms up, in that case probably valve stem seals.

hope some of that can at least point you in the right direction. But im leaning toward valve cover gaskets. do you have any dots under the truck after you park it overnight? If they r leaking that much they r pretty bad, im betting when you get them out of there they will be more like hardened pieces of plastic than rubber seals.

good luck with your pathy

Pat

Edited by fixinto

Are you sure those numbers are correct? If you were leaking that much (or even half that) you'd certainly know it. You'd be marking your territory every where you go, if it was from the valve covers, you'd be getting an unbearable stench (and would probably smoke enough to look like it was on fire every time you stop. I think if it was burning a quart every 600 or so miles, you'd be smoking pretty noticeably. As for tightening the screws on old valve cover gaskets, I don't recommend it, as over that much time the rubber becomes very brittle and I've seen many of them crack (which makes the small leak into a big leak).

Many have done it with some luck. Buys enough time until the gaskets can be replaced. For many it's a big job and they need to take the truck to a shop (usually big $$$), or take their time and tackle it themselves over a weekend or something. For others it's easy peasy. You don't want to tighten them too much otherwise yes, you can snap the gasket. As the gaskets shrink the once tight screws are now loose, which is why tightening them often helps.

I agree though, that much oil pouring out of the valve cover gaskets would definitely be burning the nostrils.

• Like 1

That's the funny thing. I doesn't seem to leak to the ground and it smokes white sometimes.

Also on a side note when the oil level is 3/4 it starts to make lifter ticks.

Hmmm, sounds like a few fairly simple checks are in order. First, if you're also losing coolant I'd start with a pressure test of the cooling system, then do a compression leak down test on each cylinder, if no coolant loss, than go straight into the compression test. A quart of oil every 600 miles or so is pretty serious. You say you get noise when oil level is at 3/4, meaning only 1/4 below full on the dipstick? Unless the motor is extremely tired, noise with only a slight amount of oil reduction is a big red flag.

Take a look at your tail pipe,when it is cold is there a lot of soot in there ? If your oil rings are iffy or shot, you can burn oil and not see any blue, but the cats will get clogged with it. If you wipe your finger around the inside of the pipe and get a lot of black could be those. The problem is your compression could be perfect, but the oil rings still be shot.

Also take a look at the rear of the valve covers, both of mine leaked back there. But I agree a quart or liter every 600 miles is a lot. My 97 has a leaky valve cover gasket one the left side and I go through maybe 1/4 - 1/2 a liter every 3000 KM

One thing you can try if the valve cover gaskets are leaking is tighten the screws. Sometimes that puts enough pressure on the old gaskets to slow the leak pretty significantly.

This! I have not replaced a valve cover gasket (other than aircooled VW) in 25 years, they are almost always loose and just need a hand tightening with a Philip screw driver. Making sure your EGR valve is working properly goes a long way as well...

That's the funny thing. I doesn't seem to leak to the ground and it smokes white sometimes.

Also on a side note when the oil level is 3/4 it starts to make lifter ticks.

Just to get a little history, how long have you had it, how long has it done this and how many miles on it?

No this is not normal, but if it doesn't get worse, it is bearable. As long as it isn't leaking... :shrug:

My father had a 1975 Dodge Coronet that burned 1 quart (1/4 gallon) of oil every 1,000 miles (1,600km) from the factory, brand new. It never got worse or better, it just was that way for the 170,000 miles put on it...

B

This! I have not replaced a valve cover gasket (other than aircooled VW) in 25 years, they are almost always loose and just need a hand tightening with a Philip screw driver. Making sure your EGR valve is working properly goes a long way as well...

Just to get a little history, how long have you had it, how long has it done this and how many miles on it?

No this is not normal, but if it doesn't get worse, it is bearable. As long as it isn't leaking... :shrug:

My father had a 1975 Dodge Coronet that burned 1 quart (1/4 gallon) of oil every 1,000 miles (1,600km) from the factory, brand new. It never got worse or better, it just was that way for the 170,000 miles put on it...

B

Only 133595 miles and i got with 121955 miles on it. Which is not that much to be honest..... I guess i pushed sometime ago.

So something is wrong.

Edited by GePa

• 3 weeks later...

make sure you dont have valve cover gasket leaks. Around that year its a common thing to need to change them. Also, if your driving it at 3 thousand rpm plus, try driving it at 2500 ish rpm, just leave earlier. If you still consume oil at reduced RPM, just "not as much by a small percentage" then ya its probably using it. Look at your tail pipe when u first start up in the morning and see if you get blueish smoke until it warms up, in that case probably valve stem seals.

hope some of that can at least point you in the right direction. But im leaning toward valve cover gaskets. do you have any dots under the truck after you park it overnight? If they r leaking that much they r pretty bad, im betting when you get them out of there they will be more like hardened pieces of plastic than rubber seals.

good luck with your pathy

Pat

Well i been doing what you be doing what you told. Not going any further than 2500 rpm, and guess what the oil consumption

was reduced to 0%.

Just curious, if you leave your pathfinder sitting for a couple days or more, do you notice an oil leak underneath?

I had my pathfinder sit in the parking spot for 4 days without moving last weekend. When I drove it on Monday, I heard a ticking sound and I was like, "wtf??" and saw that I had lost some oil. Topped it up and it was fine again.

Just curious... I'm thinking it might be a seal that shrinks when it cools down enough and then leaks... somewhere...

Ticking could have also been valve train or lifter noise, as when left to sit for a while more oil drains down, then can take a while, especially if your a little low, to thoroughly coat the rockers and pump into the lifters (higher mileage engines more so than newer ones, as oil passages become more restricted, even on well maintained engines).

• Like 1