Need some replacement parts advice

matthew954

Ok, It's been a good while since I've posted here. But I'm in some need of some suggestions. Just driving my 03 R50 today, and my tailpipe just fell off. It rotted away over the last winter it seems. It broke off at the muffler itself. Would I be correct to say that I'm going to need to replace the muffler as well? Because if I am, I plan on getting an aftermarket Magnaflow muffler to replace it.

Also at least one of my belts on the engine are noisy. It whistles as it runs now, but when its cold and damp out (like every morning in winter the last 4 years lol), it squeals like crazy until it warms up. I've dealt with it for 4 years now, its more of an annoyance than anything else. (both to me and my neighbors lol)

Also last fall my centerpiece on my roof rack had broke due to a direct hit from a walnut the size of a baseball. Needless to say it has a big crack down the passenger side of it.

I'm more concerned over my tailpipe most of all lol.

Odds are that if the pipe is that rotten, the muffler isn't in much better shape (hopefully the upstream piping is). There might not be anything to weld on to anyway, the thin sheet metal body is easy to blow through from what I understand. Better just cound on muffler and tail pipe, and maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised...

While it could be worn/stretched, it just sounds like a loose belt to me. Take a look and see if any are glazed/frayed/cracked and if so, just replace them. If they look ok, see how much deflection you can get pushing on them. The information for that is in the factory service manual, downloadable in the Garage section in the MA file.

I had to get a roof rack center piece I broke from the junk yard. If that isnt an option, look online for used parts..

B

• Like 1

If tail pipe means rear resonator, then don't worry about it. Mine feel off just like yours, it serves no purpose than to quiet idle noise. IMHO, it sounds better. Has a nice little grunt now and doesn't drone on the freeway. The only that I suggest (as thanks to Karmann) is to just the pipe that comes out of the muffler off to that exhaust isn't aimed right at the floor. Exhaust will find it was into the car, and it will heat the floor up unnecessarily, just get a sawz-all and hack it off. That's what I did.

Belts are something I need to take care of too, same situation, just not as bad, they ate OEM belts, and we're installed not that long ago, so for me all I should have to do is mess with the tension. That being said if it's been four years for you. You probably need new belts. Get OEM, or Goodyear Gator (I think that's what it's called) , those are the only belts I'd even consider putting on my car.

Hope that helps.

-Kyle

• Like 1

Well, I just got back from the garage for an estimate on the work needed. They said the same thing as you did about the tailpipe. Its attached to the resonator and the cheapest way to fix it, was to eliminate it and replace it with straight pipe. About $91 ballpark to fix it.

The belts they told me have started to dry rot. The insides are starting to crack pretty bad. They tried the old bar of soap method and it quieted down a bit. Then tried the lubricant and it quieted down completely..........for about 30 seconds.

I managed to get my wind diverter, rood rack centerpiece off......now it REALLY needs washed on the roof lol.

Out the door I was quoted for about $250 to have the tailpipe fixed and new belts installed.

You don't even need to straight pipe it. Just cut it. It doesn't do any harm other than make the rear axle a little black. But considering $250 is what I had to pay (when I didn't know or care about cars) for my belts, that's not bad, but I doubt it's for OEM belts.

-Kyle