New Guy In Dallas, TX That Needs All The Help He Can Get

AirChime

Yup the wheel wobble is just a tire balance thing. Can try to have them road force balanced to get rid of that. Does cost extra compared to a standard balance.

The seats, yea sometimes they are lacking. On long drives I tend to move mine a bit to adjust for comfort. Also remember, if you are driving for a long time take your wallet out of your back pocket. That actually can cause some crazy pressure pain in a lot of situations. Regardless of how used to it we are.

As for your AC. Same as mine. Just need to have the button labeld AC on/lit up for the AC to actually be on. The left button is just a re-circulation setting. Will suck air from the cabin under the passenger side dash and re cool and push through.

Speaking of, if you dont think its been changed. Change your cabin air filter. If its never been changed, could be pretty uh..nasty. Cheap at parts stores, just have to find one that carries it.

Sharp looking truck. Just needs some IronMan or OME springs under it. *Hint, hint*

• 3 weeks later...

So I think I am done with this vehicle. Its a turd. I took it in to have the recall check on the strut towers checked. While they are fine, both catalytic converters are toast. CEL should be on, and it would be if the seller hadnt had the bulb removed or disconnected. It still ran well, and decided then I might hang on to it and fix them one at a time. Until today.

Today I noticed the Pathfinder jerking while it was going through the gears/speeds while driving and it seemed to struggle later on going through the gears/speeds. Then on the highway I noticed I was barely doing 60MPH, but my RPMs were in the 3K area. That aint right. After running my errand in Plano, I gingerly made my back to Dallas. I tried to speak with Rob at ToMc but he was gone for the day. I picked the brain of the fellow that did answer, and without much to go on, he said it could be those catalytic converters or a legitimate tranny issue. On the way home I found that if I was careful with the gas, I could let off it at just the right moment and it would slip into the gear it needed to be in (sometimes), or so it would seem.

Maybe yall can tell me. If its a tranny issue, is it something easy (I'm pretty sure nothing is easy with regards to transmissions)? I noticed that the area under the shifter sure got warm today. Hell, I dont know. I am frustrated as hell, and I dont have a lot of money to dump into this bish. I miss my F-150 terribly.

Edited by AirChime

Disconnected the CEL... classic. :doh:

Heat from the transmission is not good. It could be that the torque converter isn't locking up when it should and is simply generating more heat that way, or it could be an internal problem. Check the trans fluid, it should be red, if it's brown or gritty or smells burned the trans is in bad shape. It sounds more like a control issue to me, like a throttle position sensor that isn't reading correctly (which would make the transmission computer think you were driving it softer or harder than you were, changing the shift and lockup points). 3k rpm at 60 sounds like third gear rather than overdrive, which would make sense if the trans computer thought you were getting into it. Because it's drive-by-wire, it would likely make the throttle act funny as well, which could help explain the struggling.

You can download the service manual (if you haven't yet) and try the diagnostics in the AT section. Most if it seems to require a code scanner, but there seems to be some actual troubleshooting towards the end.

Bad cats likely aren't helping anything, but to cause shifting irregularities I imagine they'd have to be clogged so bad the engine didn't run right, and that wouldn't happen overnight.

I dont know the laws in Texas. But for the seller to disconnect the cel light to hide a emissions issue. Legality problem? If so able to get PO to cover costs?

I would definitely leave them a nasty gram voice mail over that.

As the tranny goes. Check your fluid. Also if its chilly when that happens and the tranny is cold. It will hold a gear longer to warm the fluid. Just a quick note. As for when warmed up. Check the fluid color smell and level. Should be a pinkish red. Smell like hydraulic fluid. Not dark red to brown or worse black. If it us dark red and smells old. Can do an simple drain and fill if about 4-5qts. Also the transmission cooler line through the radiator may be clogged etc. If possible pick up a external tranny cooler and bypass the radiator completely.

Sent from my Moto X

You guys are now talking about something way beyond what I am capable of doing, and comprehending.

I know nothing of a torque converter or throttle position sensors. I am not a car guy. I can learn, but I need someone with me that can impart the wisdom. So far I havent found any folks in Texas, much less DFW that are willing.

The previous owner got defensive, immediately, when I called him.

Then after a while he said he would pay for half the istall of the catalytic converters, but I had to pay for the parts and the other half of the install. He's a weasel.

It was hot here in Dallas yesterday, 98 degrees, so it wasnt anything weather related.

I dont know what to do. Sell it, or try and get it to run right.

I took it to Eagle Transmission in Mesquite with the reccomendation of a member here. We checked the fluid and the level is good, the color is a pinkish bright red, and they said it didnt smell burned. I will take it back to them in morning and leave it so they can go over it.

OK, the transmission issue is pretty much resolved and wasnt too bad. It will be taken care of this next week.

They said if I brought them the needed catalytic converters that they would install them for free. I slept late today, and missed the 30% sale at NAPA today. I like sleep, big fan. So I have been looking on RockAuto.com. However I dont know which ones to get, and I was hoping ya'll could help me out with that.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=4960788&cc=1431977

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1317305&cc=1431977

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1317790&cc=1431977

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=4960785&cc=1431977

What was the code for the cats? I'm not sure which ones you need? From those pictures looks like you need the secondary cats? There are left and right side ones. So if you need one of each. Just order a left and order a right side secondary one. However, if you need the primary cats, then they are different part numbers.

Edit: Rockauto has a pretty good help line if you call them. 1-866-ROCKAUTO

Also....

5% Discount Code: 54063C20FED9AA

Expires: 01/25/2015

Please enter this code in the ‘How Did You Hear about Us’ box to receive discount. Please enter ONLY the discount code, no other words or numbers. Please note that orders using discount codes must be placed online and the discount code must be entered before an order is submitted to receive the discount. Phone orders are not eligible for discounts.

Edited by Rebelord

• 2 months later...