diesel engine swapping

joshboy22

I know that the 2000 model pathfinder had the option of a diesel engine (a 3.3 turbo and a 3.5 turbo) and was wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to swap out my 3.5 gas to one of the diesels? Any insight would be great.

Thanks

ZD30DDTi

QD32ETi

Were two of the three diesels in 3.0 available.

And same platform engine swaps are fairly easy, considering. Everything is designed to fit. So all you'll need is the engine, wiring loom, exhaust, ECU, and any other misc parts that may be different. Like a Trans or subframe.

Best way to do that is find an importer, I can't say I've ever seen most stock these engines, but it never hurts to ask.

-Kyle

im getting the parts together myself, im gonna use a monsterdog adjustable fuel pump with a water seperator kit with the stock tank, as for the measurments the trans seems like it will bolt up to QD32ETi

There is a importer here in Miami than can get me a complete Nissan diesel engine. Harness, PCM all of it. However its just above $3k for it all. Which includes all the import duties and such. Which is just to much for me. Yea, it would be kinda cool to do. But I dont see spending that much. If I were to spend that much, I would shoehorn a GM LSx series engine into my Pathfinder. That or take it a guy I know that owns a GTR speed shop and he can retrofit a stock GTR turbo onto the 3.3l and tune it and all for about $4k.

You're doing a diesel swap too? Do take tons of pics please!

-Kyle

yes i am, the only issue im running into is the with the trans, im trying to find out if i need a diff trans or if i can use the trans i have, reason being is my cluster for the diesel swap only goes to 3k so i am worried about shift points and bogging, but doing the measurements it looks like it will bolt up

Edited by ONCEBITN

Id be worried about the extra torque coming from the motor hurting the Tranny .

I swapped a 350 in my old truck (had a 305) both v8 same block an had to change my lockup solenoid and gear servo because of the extra torque both were replaced with what would be in the hd trans for the 2500

The VQ and VG Transmissions are notoriously bullet proof. Guys swap the 6 speed versions of both into their drift cars over on the Silvia side of the world. I'd say that as long as your sticking with stock power and torque, I'd say you're okay.

-Kyle

yes i am, the only issue im running into is the with the trans, im trying to find out if i need a diff trans or if i can use the trans i have, reason being is my cluster for the diesel swap only goes to 3k so i am worried about shift points and bogging, but doing the measurements it looks like it will bolt up

Also look and see if the bell housing's are swappable, I wouldn't be surprised if Nissan, in an effort to save some money, just made a different bellhousing to accommodate whatever differences there might be... Do note though, that the VQ engine was only available in the US. aussies and Europeans only got the VG as a gasoline option, so you might be able to get the VG Trans and transfer to work, but not the VQ, I really don't know for sure though. You've have definitely got me curious though, I know a few sites that have detailed information on pathfinders from different markets. Maybe cross checking part numbers will yield something. I'll check when I have time.

-Kyle